Exxon Elite Oil

If anyone has checked, the TCM website (or other documetation) does not reflect that Exxon Elite is an approved oil for the IO-550N or IO-360.

I am copying excerpts from Exxon’s product manager’s response to my query regarding this oil:

"Per your request, I have exchanged messages with Bob Robbins at TCM and they have not yet updated their SI 99-12 to reflect the addition of Elite to the list. Moreover, Bob tells me that TCM will be changing this SI to indicate that any SAE approved product is approved as well by TCM. I understand this change will be reflected in the next update of SI 99-12.

• Please feel free to verify with Bob at 334-436-8340.

• Therefore, Elite is fully qualified for use

in TCM engines, as we have a letter documenting our SAE approval.

Additionally, we have fully STC’d Elite with the FAA for use in TCM engines. I am happy to provide you with copies of the documentation."

As for availability, Steve continues; “In addition to Valley oil, you can also buy Elite direct from us at 888-22-TIGER (option 9)…but the cost will be about the same.”

And finally, an oil analysis program; "Our oil analysis program is called Exxgard Aero, and cost $14 per sample. If you want to try it, please send me your shipping address and I will send you a complimentary kit. I am out of the country until the 11th…so if you need it right away, please call the lab directly at 800-445-7930 and request a kit.

Blue skies in your SR22!!"

If anyone is interested, NO, I am not an employee of Exxon, nor do I receive any commisions! I just liked everything I have read and heard about the oil and the opportunity to start using one oil in an engine from the start seems appealing.

Marty SR22 N191KM (& loving it!)

"

Marty -

Have been using Exxon Elite for approx 1 year in my IO360 with excellent results. I particularly like the oil as it has a current additive package which should reduce corrosion particularly when the aircraft is not flown weekly. Independent tests appear to confirm, including Aviation Consumer.

Re approvals, the SR22 POH (8-18) shows

Exxon Aviation Oil EE

as an approved product. I had assumed that EE stood for Exxon Elite. In which case, Cirrus has already picked up the new product in the POH. If not, its good to know that TCM confirms it meets specs.

Bob

P.S. I am a former Exxon employee - retired.

If anyone has checked, the TCM website (or other documetation) does not reflect that Exxon Elite is an approved oil for the IO-550N or IO-360.

I am copying excerpts from Exxon’s product manager’s response to my query regarding this oil:

"Per your request, I have exchanged messages with Bob Robbins at TCM and they have not yet updated their SI 99-12 to reflect the addition of Elite to the list. Moreover, Bob tells me that TCM will be changing this SI to indicate that any SAE approved product is approved as well by TCM. I understand this change will be reflected in the next update of SI 99-12.

Additionally, we have fully STC’d Elite with the FAA for use in TCM engines. I am happy to provide you with copies of the documentation."

As for availability, Steve continues; “In addition to Valley oil, you can also buy Elite direct from us at 888-22-TIGER (option 9)…but the cost will be about the same.”

And finally, an oil analysis program; "Our oil analysis program is called Exxgard Aero, and cost $14 per sample. If you want to try it, please send me your shipping address and I will send you a complimentary kit. I am out of the country until the 11th…so if you need it right away, please call the lab directly at 800-445-7930 and request a kit.

If anyone is interested, NO, I am not an employee of Exxon, nor do I receive any commisions! I just liked everything I have read and heard about the oil and the opportunity to start using one oil in an engine from the start seems appealing.

"

Marty: There is a brief mention of Exxon Elite in the current issue of Aviation Consumer. Their only negative comment concerns availability. They indicate that distribution is improving and that the availability problms will diminish soon.

"