oil viscosity

What weight oil have thise in wam climates been running. Just change oil again and manual calls for SAE 50 my mechanic says Continental rep tells him to run 100?

What weight oil have thise in wam climates been running. Just change oil again and manual calls for SAE 50 my mechanic says Continental rep tells him to run 100?

100 is 50W. Somewhere in the annals of history they changed the viscosity numerology. I believe the oil is “100 weight” (and to confuse things, the “W” doesn’t stand for “weight.”)

50 or 15W50 should be fine (the multivis is better if it gets chilly sometimes.)

I just changed oil at the 25 hour mark, a Cirrus employee in the experimental dept stated they burn mineral oil for the first 100 hours and watch for oil use. So I used Aeroshell 100 which IS SAE50 weight for the summer. Aeroshell also makes other eg. SAE 30 and 40. Rick

I just changed oil at the 25 hour mark, a Cirrus employee in the experimental dept stated they burn mineral oil for the first 100 hours and watch for oil use. So I used Aeroshell 100 which IS SAE50 weight for the summer. Aeroshell also makes other eg. SAE 30 and 40. Rick

Rick:

Have you or anyone else had experience with the relatively new Exxon Elite oil? Consumer reports gave it great reviews a while back. This oil seems to work better at reducing rust and water damage in the cylinders.
Brian

I have used Exxon Elite in my Socata Tobago TB10 for about a year.

Am having the mineral oil changed out for Elite this week.

The postive reports on rust and wear aren’t surprising. The additive technology in most other oils (including AeroShell, the industry leader), is about 10 years old. And there have been huge improvements in additive technology, driven by the automobile companies, in the last few years.

Rick:

Have you or anyone else had experience with the relatively new Exxon Elite oil? Consumer reports gave it great reviews a while back. This oil seems to work better at reducing rust and water damage in the cylinders.
Brian