Engine overhaul cost

Howdy all,

I’m doing some preliminary research into an STC and need some help with real-world data. I’m looking for the avg cost to overhaul Continental 360 and 550 series engines. This could include not just factory new engines, but also overhauled ones, as I assume there’s a fairly wide range in cost. Additionally, what are owners’ experiences with cylinders making it to TBO? Is this more likely with the IO-360 vs the IO-550? What is the cost to replace a cylinder?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s input.

1 Like

Will,

You need to put the Turbos into the mix as well for the SR22 IO-550 side.

SR22 Normally Aspirated

SR22 Tornato Ally Turbo TN

SR22 Continental TN

I have less than 100 hours on my used plane, so i cant give you any data, however I think you will find the N/A’s can make it to TBO and the TN’s need a Top Overhaul somewhere in the middle of TBO range.

Continental T not TN

not that this is any definitive info, and i have no clue, but Vref of AOPA shows $41,000 for an overhaul and $59,650 for a factory Reman. IO550 for the SR22

1 Like

Assume those numbers are quoting with accessories, in which case they are accurate.

Thanks Erik. It makes sense that turbocharged or turbonormalized engines would need a top overhaul before reaching TBO, just from the higher operating temps. But from the anecdotal evidence so far I’d be surprised if n/a 550s reached TBO with their original cylinders, unless they’re operated LOP from day one.

2 Likes

Just completed mine with all new TCM Ni3Cr upgraded cylinders with prop overhaul for 42K (including R&R - if you fly the airplane to them they include R&R).

JB Engine at Sebring FL - KSEF.

TSOH = 30 - All great. Running like a champ.

I had forgotten what it is like flying with only one bottle of oil in the trunk and a clean belly.

3 Likes

Isn’t that nice?

1 Like

Bruce. Was that a top overhaul or complete? Thanks

Complete.

Edited - Just FYI…

The OH quote for IO-550N from JB Engine (KSEF) was $28,900

+$6,600 for new steel TCM cylinders or +$7,800 for TCM upgraded Ni3Cr cylinders

Replaceables are at cost +10% (plugs, hoses, mounts, etc.)

Prop and gov ~ $4K

I asked to examine my cylinders to see about overhauling them, which shop would prefer to do, but they couldn’t be brought to new limits. So I went with upgraded cylinders.

All-in total was $42K.

2 Likes

How much oil were you going through before the overhaul? How many hours on the engine and airframe and the cylinders? Was it previously topped?

1 Like

My IO-550N was overhauled at 3500 hours by PowerMasters for about $36,000 plus $5,000 for welding rebuilt of my single-exhaust headers. Same crank, new cylinders, new camshaft, same mags and alternators.

My IO-550N had cylinder work at 2200 hours at PowerMasters for about $13,000. Original cylinders were rehoned, same pistons with oversize rings and a valve job. (Those cylinders went another 1300 before a main bearing failed causing the overhaul.)

95% of my flight hours were flown high-power LOP at 2700 RPM.

Cheers
Rick

1 Like

2150 at overhaul. No top. Cyl 5 IRANed 1 year prior to overhaul. Oil consumption was on the order of 1 qt per 1-3 hours - Oil consumption seemed to be more related to takeoffs and climb time than flight time. Religiously LOP. Shop reported engine looked very clean and crank looked new.

Something else to think about as well is downtime depending on how you use the plane. Rick how long was your plane down for the overhaul? As counter a factory reman is more expensive but the downtime was a week and the factory service center flew or had the engine on the stand for the first 7 hours. Essentially when I picked up the plane it was already back to normal oil consumption. Not one issue in 350 hours since reman. My factory reman was net $37,186 plus accessories, prop overhaul and install a couple of years ago.

4 weeks.

Bruce, I have my SR22 at JB for a complete overhaul. Were you satisfied with the overhaul?

1 Like

Rick,

you are famous here for several things including taking your engine to 3500 hours.
do you actually fly at 2700 rpm or is it a typo? Are we not supposed to exceed 5 mn at that rotation speed?

Not sure where you got that idea - the engine is rated for 2700 all day long. The only reason to reduce the RPM is for noise. Surely you don’t climb at 2500?

via COPAme
Samsung SM-T820

I just had a complete overhaul of my NA SR 22 by Bill Cunningham at Powermasters. One of the things I learned is shops play games with what’s included and what’s not. Oh, you wanted your starter overhauled? Your oil cooler, alternator? Make sure you understand what’s included and what isn’t BEFORE you drop off your plane.

Bill was the most expensive at $46,500 for a complete overhaul but he included accessories other shops charged extra for. I added a prop governor overhaul and paid for needed baffling upgrades and a few other items.

Out the door was just under $60k for everything. Bill has a reputation for doing the little things that can make a big difference over time and that’s why I went with him.

I dropped the plane off with 2,980 hours on the hobbs. No top, no overhaul, just one cylinder that needed replacement three years ago from excessive valve guide wear. I flew ROP for the first 200-300 hours before going to LOP and typically run around 2500 rpm.

Bill builds his engines to run very smooth LOP. Plane was in his shop about six weeks, very busy place. So far it’s running like a champ.

Not a typo. As Clyde states, my early interactions with the Cirrus factory service center in 2001-2002 era affirmed that the engine would take it easily. I recall someone claiming that the IO-550N was rated for 2800 RPM and the Cirrus install could operate at 2700 RPM easily.

I routinely reduce RPM to 2600 when departing over populated areas as a concession to reducing noise. But over 3500’ AGL, the engine is singing along at 2700 RPM at 12.5 to 14.5 gph.

Most of my 3517 hours were in cruise during legs averaging about 3.5 hours.

Cheers
Rick