Engine Compression?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a low time SR20!! However, engine compression checks for last annual were:

(1) 62/80 (2) 70/80 (3) 68/80 (4) 68/80 (5) 72/80 (6) 68/80

Are those good?? Other SR20’s I looked at were all in the 70’s. My understanding is, anything >40 is passing??

I’ll ask the obvious, Why?

That’s just part of it Mr. Goodson. You can search the forums about compression checks but for a short answer that those numbers are good and anything above what they call the master orifice reading is good. It does not tell you the story of the overall health of the engine though. You need oil sample reports,borescopes and a sense of how the previous owner operated the engine.

Trying to identify gauges in measuring engine life expectancy? I completed my private in Cheetah’s and Tigers where low 60’s started to raise concerns??

This will be my first plane to own and wanna use it for IFR and Commercial ratings. I’m sounding like a Rook, but hopefully the highly educated/experienced Pilots on COPA can assist?

Compression tests are a poor indicator of engine health. In fact, Continental has stated that compression testing is only useful as a “leak test.” You can have marginal compressions and a good engine or vice versa.

Sounds like you are new at this. I strongly recommend that you retain Savvy to help you manage your pre-buy. It is extremely cheap insurance to have an expert in your corner.

By the way, “low time” is not always a good thing. If are looking at an airplane that has only been flown infrequently, you are often looking at trouble. The very worst thing for an engine is inactivity. If it sat idle for long periods of time, I would be extremely wary.