COPA Migration 2003 PIREP

“COPA Migration Watch, Cirrus N858CD is an SR22 at 10,500 feet over Las Vegas, New Mexico, circumnavigating the southeast corner of the Convective SIGMET area turning west towards Albuquerque and then on to San Diego. Sky is clear, winds are light and variable, temp is 12C, sunset is breathtaking, and the thunderstorm off my right is amazing to watch pummel the ground with lightning strikes. Thanks for all the help in getting home!”
As many I spoke with know, I left the Cirrus Migration 2003 about 1pm in Duluth with plans to be home for a late dinner with Molly in San Diego – 1500 miles and 10 hours of flying later! It was a really amazing flight for a lot of reasons and a similar PIREP given to Albuquerque Flight Watch prompted me to write this post.
It was one of those serene moments that are the reward for living!
Here I was enjoying so many things at once – returning home to Molly, flying a Cirrus, watching a breathtaking sunset, appreciating the forces of nature, enjoying a “technologically advanced airplane,” respecting the skills required, honoring those who helped me get here, receiving gracious assistance from others, and participating in a loving community of COPA members. There were many things to be thankful for.
The winds were unusually light for a trip from the midwest to the west coast – every leg on my flight plan log had winds aloft forecast in single digits! So I made it with one fuel stop in Colorado and two 750 nm legs running LOP at 12.5 gph producing ground speeds between 150 and 180 kts. What a plane, eh? Thanks Cirrus Design. Thanks to the GAMI folks for the background to understand it better. And thanks to the reminder from Gordon’s post about his 1-stop trip east and to the modern flight planning tools that make such long trips routine for amateurs.
Unfortunately, while it was clear, thunderstorms were building and I deviated farther east and south than planned. Also, I had forgotten my oxygen refill so I couldn’t fly high over the mountains to the north and west. So imagine flying VFR making my own choices, picking my way along mountain ridges with the moving terrain map, heading for the clear sky areas to avoid obvious towering cumulus nimbus thunderheads (even the planes at 41,000 were deviating!), and entertained by the animated display of lightning strikes from my Stormscope! Great displays and tools.
Thanks for the weather briefings and the insights gained from Scott and others. I knew what to look for and some things to do about them. Also, thanks to the weather updates from Flight Watch – ever heard of Level 6 radar returns? And where are those places they talk about, like Trinidad – turns out to be an NDB location not on my list of SIGMET VORs! When I turned west at the southeast corner of the SIGMET area, one of the biggest cells was there, easily visible and rendering a mighty display of lightning power, repeatedly striking in the same area for a couple of seconds.
Thanks to my instructors, Dave, Matt, Kevin and Bill, who provided intense, professional and thorough learning opportunities that stayed with me throughout my flight home. It was routine but I was constantly checking deviations, 180-return routes, airport alternates. Thanks also to COPA postings that provided helpful stories and learning opportunities from similar situations.
Of course, in times of heavy workload, it helps to have all the toys working. Thanks to the Service Center at Cirrus Design who repaired and replaced the roll-trim motor and autopilot due to an in-flight failure earlier in my trip (another post coming…). Everything worked and made the task manageable.
So now I had time to reflect on the trip to the Cirrus Migration, the COPA community and the people I had visited. Myron started the migration idea and lead a great team to a great accomplishment. Molly and I met Myron and Barbara during the COPA Bahamian Adventures along with many other wonderful folks, Lyle and Joyce, Marty and Deb, John and Sue, Mike and Ann, Glen and Barbara, Paul and Vickie, Dave and Nancy, Hank and Gail, Roger, Ian and Robin, Mike and Debi, and a bunch more. Folks at the Migration recognized me as sdbeach (but without the tux) and I talked with several people about COPA postings (although, the name tags need bigger names for my old eyes!) Thanks for the connections to people I care about.

Shared experiences through the COPA community connect me to people, places, knowledge, and concerns that I treasure and value. Steve, Mike, Gordon, Marty, Clyde, and many, many others created a inclusive world in which everyone is welcome but high standards of behavior are expected. As Alan remarked at the COPA banquet, imitation of our community by other flying clubs demonstrates that we got it right. Generosity of those involved keeps the community evolving and growing. Passions have a way of making it easy for some of us. Thanks.

And as the sunset darkened the sky, my recollections of the COPA migration speakers brought their ideas back into focus. Thanks to JT for sticking around for the last seminar on insurance. Thanks to Doug for the real-world experience of getting woken up at 7am by a dunking in the water and struggling to get into a life raft as if your life depended upon it! Thanks to Walter and George for putting out their expertise and opinions and cautions for getting the most out of our engine technology. Thanks to Joe for the travelogue of a trans-Atlantic ferry pilot – even you could make it there if you can fly a 700 nm leg! Thanks to the BRS guys for insights into a unique safety device. A lineup of people and ideas that had me thinking about stuff over and over again. Stimulating, to say the least!

Finally, it was great to get home. Molly got me started 3 years ago with a gift certificate for a private pilot course. And getting relaxed in the spa felt terrific – I admit it, I was stiff from the long flight – but that soon gave way to enthusiasm and excitement as I shared my experiences. Thanks you all!

Have a great Cirrus day!

Cheers
Rick

How about this Stormscope picture shortly after I departed out of Flint, Michigan on Friday? Is this real? Certainly got my attention.

In reply to:

Thanks to my instructors, Dave, Matt, Kevin and Bill, who provided intense, professional and thorough learning opportunities that stayed with me throughout my flight home. It was routine but I was constantly checking deviations, 180-return routes, airport alternates.

Rick,

What more could an instructor ask for than comments like the one above? More importantly, to me there is no greater reward for my work than hearing/seeing my student’s put the skills and judgement I try to teach into good practice. While I appreciate your kind words, Rick, it is I who would like to thank you. Thanks for not being afraid to share your experiences (good & bad) with this group. It was a pleasure to instruct you and its been even more fun getting to know you as a friend.

Fly Safe,
~Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services

Scott, that eerie screenshot brings up a question. How come you see lots of cells and strikes and the “Rate” field in the upper left corner shows a meager “1”? Any idea? When I am near serious TS activity I can see counts in the forties and fifties.
ralph

In reply to:

How come you see lots of cells and strikes and the “Rate” field in the upper left corner shows a meager “1”?

Excellent question Ralph. Anyone care to explain this?

This is because the rate is the recent approximate strikes per minute. If the
strikes shown happened some time ago and were not cleared, and the strike rate
has diminished, then the rate would be low but lots of uncleared strikes still
displayed.

The WX500 shows the following:
— Lightning symbol if strike happened during the last 1 minute
— Large + sign if 1-2 minutes ago
— Small + sign if 2-3 minutes ago
— Dissapears after 3 minutes
(you can also manually clear the strikes)

So in Scotts display, there are Large and small + signs, showing strikes 1-3
minutes old. The strike rate, which is updated continuously, is for the past 1
minute, so it won’t include these older 1-3 minute strikes.

Michael

Michael,

Very good analysis. Add to that the “bolded” strike that lasts for the first six seconds then turns to a regular lightning bolt for the remainder of the first minute.

So, is this display real thunder? How can you tell based off your analysis and looking at scenario I posed?

Mike,

That’s an excellent explination…and right on the money based on how I understand it. If you look at Scott’s screen shot, it is almost entirely large and small plus signs, but no lightning bolt symbols. That would indicate little has happened in the previous minute. Thus, the very low rate count.

Fly Safe,
~Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services

My guess is that this is not thunder based on the “radial” nature of the strikes. In other words, the strikes extend in “staight” lines centered to the airplane and radiate outward like a radial on a VOR. The cause? My guess would be an electrical discharge off the wing perhaps caused by static build up or the trim motor on the left wing just blew a gasket.

:wink:

Looks like its real, but also looks like a lot of strike mode radial spread.

The storm at 11 oclock looks like it has lots of recent (1-2 minute) strikes, with
radial spread, but its not clear what the range to the cell is, based on this
display, but it looks like its beyond 100 miles.

The cell at 10:30 looks real, but less intense, and also a 100mile + range.

Michael

Mark: Isn’t “Radial Spread” or the inaccurate positioning of strikes in a linear pattern extending towards the center, a common ‘error’ of stormscopes in Strike Mode?

I believe that the Cell Mode is specifically enhanced with algorhythms that minimize radial spread and try to focus attention on the actual cells and not single strikes.

Marty

In reply to:

Mark: Isn’t “Radial Spread” or the inaccurate positioning of strikes in a linear pattern extending towards the center, a common ‘error’ of stormscopes in Strike Mode?

I believe that the Cell Mode is specifically enhanced with algorhythms that minimize radial spread and try to focus attention on the actual cells and not single strikes.

Marty,

It is true that radial spread does appear much like this and that you get the “stingray-like” appearance that normally indicates a “real” thunderstorm. This is due to the nature of the Stormscope that uses (in strike mode) an average lightning strike signature. So with a strong thunderstorm you’ll see some very intense strikes and they are painted closer to you creating the characteristic stingray appearance.

However, my screen shot was not real convection. (Although it had me going for about 10 seconds - I was ready to key the mic asking for a right turn). I must have passed over a buried cable while departing (it wasn’t that way while taxiing on the ground).

The clue was the low strike number (a storm like this doesn’t just go away that quick). The other clue was when I cleared the display, nothing came back.

Nice try on the spelling of algorithms![;)]

Marty,

Despite the best 18-hour forecast in the business, we got a good look at radial spread on the way home:

The problem was a small cell that chose our overnight airport as a great place to pop:

But fortunately all the action just delayed us an hour – on the ground!

Great meeting you at the Migration!

-Curt

Please Note – We were unable to migrate some of the attachments that were originally apart of this post. To view this post in its original format, please click the link below:

Original Post: View Post

Thank you,
The COPA Team
1-51306-DSC00716.jpg

Obviously, it wasn’t real but I have witnessed the “buried cable” phenomenon three times in the last 6 months. In my experiences the display showed a straight line of discharges at right angles to the heading. Perhaps once airborne you passed some kind of transformer or sub station or something off the left wing.