Converting VFR Flight-Following to IFR

A bit off topic, butÂ…

Does anyone have any experience converting from a VFR flight following status to an IFR letdown and approach? Do you have to call FSS airborne and file a formal IFR flight plan, or will the flight following agency (center, approach, etc.) issue you a clearance on the spot?

Thanks.

Joe

A bit off topic, butÂ…

Does anyone have any experience converting from a VFR flight following status to an IFR letdown and approach? Do you have to call FSS airborne and file a formal IFR flight plan, or will the flight following agency (center, approach, etc.) issue you a clearance on the spot?

Thanks.

Joe

Joe, you typically have 2 choices. Since you are already talking to Approach, you can get a local IFR clearance directly through your approach controller on a workload permitting basis. You will have to give him virtually all the same info that’s required on the IFR flight plan.

Option #2 is required if your controller is too busy, or just not too cooperative, you will have to call Flight Serivce (Radio), file the flight plan, and then go back to Approach (or Center) to open and continue with an IFR clearance.

Option # 1 is easier and you can usually get it without much trouble.

A bit off topic, butÂ…

Thanks.

Joe

Joe,

I do it all of the time. It is a piece of cake up in Oregon where there is good radar coverage and the controllers are usually not too busy. Just contact center, or approuch as appropriate. Give them your position and aircraft type and ask for the IFR clearance. As long as they can pick you up on radar they have always been great about granting the clearance. It is pretty routine. No flight plan is required. Your request and clearance become your flight plan. And, you don’t even need to fill in all of the boxes! Just supply them with position, type, and destination. They do the rest.

A bit off topic, butÂ…

Thanks.

Joe

I recommend the AOPA Weboard in the “Cloudbusters” section, which is great for IFR dialogue. You must be a AOPA member to enter the site.

Thanks for the tip, went there (I’m a member) and got the info I needed.

Joe Mazza

(Former position holder. Current TB20 owner.)

A bit off topic, butÂ…

Thanks.

Joe

I recommend the AOPA Weboard in the “Cloudbusters” section, which is great for IFR dialogue. You must be a AOPA member to enter the site.