Considering buying a Cirrus 2003 SR22

Very easy. I had 20 hrs in 182T and total of 90 hrs when I did my transition into a SR22. I went through the Cirrus Online Portal courses, iFOM and POH. My transition was around 10 hrs. It took me another 20-25 hrs to be really proficient with the avionics and emergency procedures where I felt I was ready to tackle some IFR weather. I still train a lot for all kind of emergency situations and usually never fly the cruise part in IMC.

This is exactly what I meant by “completely transitioned”.

That was my experience going from round gauges to a PFD and landing at a short length airport (with a fast plane). I never had a working autopilot before the Cirrus. I had not flown a low wing, fast plane (like a mooney) before - just slow, high wing cessnas. I had not used a Garmin 430 before. It was a big learning curve (for me).

I’m not sure why it is wrong to list one’s own experience with an aircraft. My lack of prior compatible experience made it take longer.

It certainly isn’t. However, the pertinent sentence read “It will take 100 hours to completely transition.”

Maybe I’m totally off-base with this, but judging from discussions I’ve had with non-Cirrus pilots about the airplane and its pilots, I am pretty certain I’m not.

Ok Thomas, I see your point.

My “transition” was 10 hours. I was able to fly and land the plane (at a 5000’ runway).

But to master the plane (avionics, navigation, autopilot coupled approaches, short field landings, managing the engine LOP) took me 100 hours. This is what I called “completely transitioned”.

Perhaps a language issue? [:D]

That is precisely the issue. IMO most of the disagreements about what constitutes “truth” - about any subject - emanates from differing definitions.

I had about 400 hours in a G1000 182 before I bought my SR22 8 years ago. The transition is easy and, like the 182, the SR22 is easy to fly. Really it is easier because you don’t have to adjust the propeller. Using the %Power indicator to set speeds is easy.

Landings are different. The 182 is nose heavy and I was always focused on holding the nose off while landing. The SR22 doesn’t have the nose heavy feel of the 182, so I flare, hold back pressure on the elevator and let the plane settle to the runway.

Getting the right speeds is very helpful on the SR22 – generally 100 knots downwind (30% power), 90 knots crosswind (23% power), 80 knots final, 77 knots at 50 feet. Read the attached landing safety alert and follow it religiously and you’ll have no problems with landing.

In my transition, the CSIP said the only real gotcha on the SR22 is that it can get slow real quick when turning downwind to base leg. I’ve found this to be true. It can go from 100 knots to 80 knots as you make the turn, so I always watched this very closely. I think if you are aware of it you won’t have a problem, but it could catch you unawares if you’re not watching.

My plane has the Avidyne R9 avionics. It is easy to learn and use. That being said, I felt like it took about a year for me to feel like I knew it cold and had my system down for configuring it the best way for me to fly. It is much more flexible than the G1000 and gives many more options on screen configurations.
SR22 Landing - Safety Alert.pdf (207 KB)

In my view (though i’m not an experienced pilot), its not how many hours that truly matter, its what you do during those hours, what you do during those days (COPA, youtube, FOM, CSIP) that really matter. You can do 20 cross countries and just lounge for 90 out of those 100 hours. Or you can make reasonably short missions for a more varied experience.

Just visiting our local mechanic/expert and his shop and talking to him, peering into the current plane he is working on, etc. helps gain insights and confidence you would never get from just climbing in the cockpit (of course you need to have a mech who is passionate about it).

Transitioning is also not about making smooth landings. Its about your piloting becoming as effortless as riding a bicycle so you can start enjoying the view more. I find I have to “transition” every time i’m away from flying for more than 2 weeks, it takes an hour.

I couldn’t agree more. 100 hrs in type “X” years/months/weeks back doesn’t help with proficiency at all.

Back in 2000 I “transitioned” into my SR20 with 2 hours dual instruction and some ground school on the Garmin 430. I couldn’t say how many hours it took to “completely” transition because I don’t know how to measure that, and you also have to consider that not all hours flying are equal. The hours spent doing touch and goes or flying instrument approaches count a lot more than hours spent in cruise.

Different people learn at different rates, and that varies depending on what you’re learning as well - some people are naturals on stick and rudder and some are good at systems, but it’s rare to do both exceptionally well. Time gaps in the process will delay learning as well. So it’s undoubtedly true that it will take 100 hours for some people to become competent to fly a Cirrus, but most will take a lot less. True mastery probably doesn’t come in less than 1000 hours.

via COPAme
Samsung SM-T820

I purchased a 2003 Centennial about 4 years ago and can’t be happier. It has had its share of issue that are common such as starter adapter, need to upgrade plugs, occasional EGT/CHT probe issues. The engine has been solid. I run LOP in the 8-9K level and CHT run in the low 300s. I started in Cessnas and transitioned around 200 hours. I would highly recommend some simulator time before starting transition. I was able to get access to a FlyThisSim with the Avidyne panel and spent a number of hours before I even flew one. I also did my 10 hrs transition over 4 days (weather was an issue). Concentrating the time over a short period really helps muscle memory. I still have access to the simulator. Not sure where you are located but if you are anywhere near Missouri then I can help get you simulator time.