Cirrus SR22 verus Beechcraft Bonanza

The SR22T does have large dual intercoolers. Nonetheless, it does run hotter than the TN, but that is due to (1) the lower compression ration (7.5 vs 8.5) leading to lower thermodynamic efficiency and hence more waste heat (EGT’s ~100F hotter), and (2) the use of an exhaust cross-connect tube instead of linked wastegates to synchronize the two turbos has more exhaust surface area and radiates more heat into the engine compartment, particularly right under many of the accessories (mags, alternator, ECU etc). However, the wastegate linkage in the TN is not a troublefree aspect, but is sensitive to misadjustment and must be inspected regularly.

When I was looking to step up I was considering an F33A and SR22. In the end, there really is no comparison in value. For me, the SR22 won hands down. For about the same price, I was looking at late 80s vintage Bos versus early 2000’s SR22s. Same speed without retractable, more advanced avionics, chute and a very sexy look. The killer was the the issue of the Bo potentially going out of balance on long trips due to fuel burn.

IMO, get an SR22 and be happy.[:D]

The other side of the coin is, that an old vintage Bonanza has the same value as a much newer Cirrus…!

Or not. I bought the Cirrus because I saw it as a better value at the same price point. Most Bos with updated panels look like a patchwork of avionics, throw over yokes, etc.

I have a good friend/old timer with a beautiful 1967 V35 that he is having trouble almost giving away. It goes as fast my SR22, but the avionics are ancient and even at $75k or so, it isn’t selling. He’d like to get himself into an LSA, but it just isn’t worth it to him to sell for less.

No one knows the future value of the Cirri, but I think, pound for pound, the G1 six pack is the best deal going in aviation.[;)]

Agree since most older Beechcraft Bonanza will require major update cost. Plus I like two doors on an aircraft. How reliable are the older Cirrus?

Good point. Me too. Actually before selecting the Cirrus and after the Bo’s, I almost went for a mid 90s vintage TB-20 for that reason. Nice airplane, but slower, no chute, just as expensive and I wasn’t thrilled about the idea of having to wait on parts from France… and did I say slower? My pops owned a TB-10 and there were some serious delays in getting parts from time to time…And when they could be had they were even more expensive than expensive.

So, we can say that I exhausted just about all other possibilities…perhaps because I didn’t realize that the G1s were so affordable.

My G1 is running like a top at 1740 hours … Knocking on wood…

No one knows the future value of the Cirri, but I think, pound for pound, the G1 six pack is the best deal going in aviation.

There are even some advantages to the G1 (see the Members post about door closure mechanism. Nothing wrong with the newer ones…but the old ones are pretty rock solid)

I would love to have to have a Cool glass PFD but my 6 pack is rock solid. Combine that with the Sandel, MFD, dual 430W’s and 55x autopilot…I’m living the dream and generation ahead of anything else I would have bought in this category.

Did I mention that membership is only $65?[;)]

Curt – I was referring to the V35TC (Bonanza) that he was considering as an option to the Cirrus.

I am currently flying a V tail Bonanza owned by someone else, who just lost their medical, plans to sell. I don’t want it, and am considering an A36 or a Cirrus. I’d like to spend some time in each to get an idea of which I would prefer before spending the big bucks. I haven’t been able to find anywhere with a Cirrus for rent anywhere in the mid-Michigan area or even within an hour flight. Does anyone know of anything?

Also to date no Cirrus has randomly lost its tail mid flight for no reason other than “just because” :slight_smile:

There are two Cirrus for rent at Wisconsin Aviation. N609C and N708ES You can get top notch instruction from Jim Quinn.jim.quinn@wisconsinaviation.com

It’s not that far. Make a day of it and have Jim give you the Chef’s tour of the Cirrus. It will be worth your time and money.

Fly the Cirrus

Fly The Bonanza

Buy the Cirrus! (okay, I’m Biased!)

Ah, thanks for that. Yah, I would avoid any turbo system that does not feature heavy-duty inter-cooling.

Good point need to see what kind of deal I can score for under 200k.

Bruce, same here. I really liked the F33A because I had been flying T34Cs for the past few years. I looked at three different F33s last summer and not a one of them could carry my family of four and stay in CG for more than 45 minutes of flight. The scary things was that their owners said that they had been flying long trips with four adults for years and never had a CG problem. One of them even had a fifth seat in the baggage area. WOW, I would hate to have drawn the short straw for that trip. I started researching SR22s and found that they could easily do my basic mission of four pax with filled to the tabs.

Good point about CG issues with the older Beechcraft Bonanza models. For me, I am single and have 1-2 pax so not really too big issue. I will get checked out in a Cirrus after my PPL to get a feel for the aircraft. Same for Bonanza. Mooney is way too small and same goes for Piper. Socata no longer makes the TB20/21 models and parts are hard to come by and super expensive from France.

I was told that Socata was committed to a US based parts supply for the TBs, but that sounded more like wishful thinking than reality.

Also, I doubt you’ll find a “Hot Section” at ABS. That alone makes it worth owning a Cirrus.

[H]

Gear up landing risk in Bonanzas? A Bonanza with gear up and flaps down flys about the same as with both down. A friend, ATP, active airline pilot and long time Bonanza owner had a gear up landing a couple of months ago in her Bonanza. While people usually do not get hurt, gear up is a PIA. In my 1700 hours, I had 3 PIA gear events in my Bonanza, 2 required me to hand crank the gear down and one to land after the crank spun through a bag handle and broke while retracting gear after takeoff, leaving me stressed and worried whether the gear would come back down for landing.

Confirming, yet again, that there are two types of retractable-gear pilots…Those who have had a gear-up landing and those who will.

One of the main reasons that people like their Bonanzas that much is that all landings. ALL LANDINGS are good landings.

Yes, a bad pilot looks great in a bonanza. That plane lands so easily it’s ridiculous.

I have hours in Twinkies and Mooneys. Laminar wings. You land the plane on the correct speed or you don’t land. Bonanza pilots can’t land Laminar wings. Period.