CIRRUS Rolls Royce, Mercedes & Angel Flight

It’s not often that you hear Cirrus, Mercedes, Rolls Royce & Angel flight used all together, but a recent article in a Miami Newspaper did just that. The story focused on Angel Flight and our much beloved, bedraggled, & bitched-at attorney (me)

It’s worth reading:
http://www.communitynewspapers.com/2004/spapers/local4.htm

very nice Dennis.

I called the editor and asked him if there was anything he cut from that story and he said, yeah there was one bit …

"This reminds me of a Mercedes Gullwing," Francis said of Haber's plane. "I really like it, I just wish it had a weather display on the MFD", she added

on a serious note do you have any liability concerns flying for Angel Flight. Whatever thread we had on this a few weeks ago put me off.

Great Story!

I am glad to see that there are people out there that are willing to donate their time and energy to help out others who are less fortunate.

Dennis,

Great story. I have an AFW flight from SLC-WMC tomorrow weather permitting.

It’s a great organization and the patients I get to fly love our aircraft. I have been honored to fly with AFW for two years now. Wonderful use for our love of flight!

Rick

Dennis,

I’m sure you are doing great work, but I followed the link today, and I think you may be announcing more than you attended. The headline now is:

Junior League of Miami honors Women Who Make A Difference

Great work, and if you ever want to legitimize that marriage thing, I’m sure San Francisco City Hall will be back in business soon…

Roland,
As I was returning to DPA from LOU today after leg one of an Angel Flight I thought about your post. As I’m sure you’ve noticed from previous threads I am no lover of our legal system. Nevertheless I have to tell you that the satisfaction I get from these flights far outweighs any concerns I have about liability. Helping others for the sake of doing so is simply the correct way to live one’s life. Liability concerns be da**ed.
I’ve gotten so much from aviation over the last 40 years that it is only right to give something back to the community and to those who need help.
As you do the flights, just remember that any “justice” system that discourages you from doing what you know is right, is a system in desperate need of reform.

In reply to:

Great Story!
I am glad to see that there are people out there that are willing to donate their time and energy to help out others who are less fortunate.

not to mention that . . . IT’S A LAWYER !!!

Hear, hear!

Part of the problem is that for the most part we do not have a “justice system,” we have instead a legal system.

In reply to:

Hear, hear!
Part of the problem is that for the most part we do not have a “justice system,” we have instead a legal system.

no, no, no. I didn’t mean this to turn into a legal system bashing session.
Thanks Jerrold for your thoughts, that’s a noble way of looking at the whole thing. I certainly agree with your wish to give something back.
What I’m really trying to figure out is … is there an issue? Is flying Angel Flight passengers in your plane actually opening you to much more legal risk than just flying yourself around in your plane? If it’s not, I’ll join up, if it is, I’ll think about it some more.
I know it’s kind of sad to think like this but I’d prefer to have thought it through first than be sitting there with a bemused look on my face after I hear the judge say ‘found liable’ muttering to myself “but I was just trying to help others”.

In reply to:

What I’m really trying to figure out is … is there an issue? Is flying Angel Flight passengers in your plane actually opening you to much more legal risk than just flying yourself around in your plane? If it’s not, I’ll join up, if it is, I’ll think about it some more.

Roland; Since I started this tread, I will respond.
No Roland, there is no more legal risk than just flying around yourself . . . in fact, there is much less. To start, prior to each flight, passengers must sign a release of liability. That is a lot more than you get from you usual passengers.
Next, the family would be much more sympathetic. Next, while unwritten, a jury would be much more sympathetic and understanding.
Go ahead and join Angel Flight. Life without exposure to risk does not exist. Every neighborhood toting soccer mom takes the same risk, but does it everday.
Life without meaning and the ability to share your passions and your desire to help others, is empty.
Give, not because they ask, but give because you can give.