In reply to:
I am considering purchasing a Cirrus and have a few questions regarding the maintenance of the aircraft;
- What is the maintenance schedule involved with the Ballistic Chute (CAPS)? Is it a time limited part?
- Does the entire interior require removal during annual inspection?
- Are there any Cirrus specific fuel tank inspection requirements?
- Anybody have experience with owner assisted annuals. What is the average time involved?
- Are the auto-pilot servos easily accessed?
- Any difficult, hard to access, they should have made more room to do this…events in a Cirrus annual?
- Is the oil filter easy to get to and remove?
As others have said here, join COPA! For $50, its money well-spent and you will have access to a vast array of information.
With that being said, our 2002 Cirrus has been completely trouble-free in almost a year of ownership, with 100% dispatch reliability. You will see lots of “complaints” about Cirrus as a company, maintenance issues and the cost of ownership over on the members side, but the complainers are the ones who are usually posting, and I suspect that many of them have never owned an aircraft before! With almost 4000 planes in service, I have to believe that the majority of owners are having a good experience with their planes, and our mechanics at North East Aero (KMGJ) are really the best.
FWIW, I will tell you that in my opinion there is no comparison between the Cirrus and any “spam can”, both in terms of reliability and performance.