Cirrus 20 faults?

Hi all, This is my first post here. I am a part owner (in Australia) of a Cirrus 20. I must point out from the onset I am not a machanic but understand how things work. I have only just joined ourgroup (5) and we have just had our aircraft in for a service Hours on the aircraft are just over 1000. My question: At the service we have had to replace our 3rd Vacuum pump and now the magneto. All have been vibrated to pieces. In addition we have serious corrosion on the elevator. This is a 2 year old aircraft that is kept in a hanger (open ended), flown at least 2 - 3 times per week for several hours and kept in as new condition (we are very proud of our plane) Our service machanic said the engine has a fine vibration due to poor harmonics (over my head), something he said he has seen on some other Cirrus aircraft. Is this common and if so can we fix it. Is the corrosion a common thing on these aircraft? Love to see what you have to say

If the plane flys 2 to 3 days a week then why does it only have 100 hours and it is 2 years old.It would have to have sat along time. What state is it in as far as humidity levels. I have never heard of this issue on any cirrsu can you say My name is jeff,Have anice day. what is the n no. and serial no. That might clear up the jeff thing. Dont mean to be rude just go to search the word jeff or troll. Don

One check you can do with the Vacumn pump is to look at the cooling air hose that comes out of the engine bay, and is attatched to the Battery housing.

Apparantly its positioned wrong at the factory and should be pointing at the vacumn pump to cool it, some times it misses!

If its misaligned, change the cable tie to a better position.

Sorry I don’t have a photo!

Ian

Corrosion sounds very odd to me. You must be talking about the very posterior elevator “movable” section which is made of metal. Composite material does NOT corrode; that is one of the advantages of an all composite airplane.
So please tell us EXACTLY what it is that is corroding on your plane. There must be a source of non draining water in your elevator. There is an SB for drain holes that solves this problem but that does not involve the didtal tail section.

Happy to say, a new member of COPA

In reply to:

If the plane flys 2 to 3 days a week then why does it only have 100 hours and it is 2 years old.It would have to have sat along time.

Hi Don,
Given our history with trolls, and “Jeff”, I don’t blame you for being cautious. But in this case, I believe that “Rick” is a real person – probably a partner with Clyde Stubbs.
He said that the airplane has 1000 hours (not 100), and mentions the same issues as Clyde did in
this post this morning (post is visible to members only).
Rick, I’m not sure that the issues you mention about the vacuum pump and magneto are necessarily very serious or unusual, though… seems like your vacuum pumps have lasted an average of 300 or so hours each, which is above average for the SR20, and the magnetos have an SB or AD recommending (requiring?) inspection every 500 hours. I’m not sure I agree that harmonic vibration can be a big issue for these items, because they’re mounted directly to the engine, and that CERTAINLY vibrates - everyone’s engine, all the time it’s running. I think (but I could be mistaken) that “harmonic vibration” is usually more discussed as an issue for the airframe and things bolted to that.
Either way, hope your current rash of problems gets solved quickly, easily and inexpensively (Ha!). I’m actually most concerned about the corrosion I don’t have any corrosion that I know of after 2 1/2 years and 800 hours based at an airport fairly near the shore… would like to hear more about the problem.

• Mike.

I guess I am gun shi. I will take more time to read and wait till after work. And my opology to those two guys. From Don

Mike,
Thanks for your reply. You are correct I am part of the group that Clyde belongs to. In addition I hope that by the end of the day I am a full member of COPA, thus allowing me to join the members discussions. I must say however it seems that the public area does discuss some interesting topics.
I have exchanged emails with Clyde (I was unaware he was a member at the time of the posting) and he did point out some facts that I did get incorrect. We have lost 4 vacuum pumps but have changed brands and it seems we are not getting the same problems at this stage. The the corrosion is a major concern and I would like to hear (As would Clyde) any suggestions.
Re the “harmonic vibration” I have never heard of this however the mechanic explained it as there is a "Lug) that “Floats” on the base of crank shaft and this can be adjusted to allow for “type of engine usage” I dont understand it but his explanation went on to say that if this is wrong then the engine may have a fine high pitched vibration. As I said “over my head”
As for “Jeff” I can only assume that there have been some BS postings. Sorry if I brought back old memories. As I said , will be a member later today

Rick

You must be talking about the very posterior elevator “movable” section which is made of metal.
Brian,
That is indeed what’s called the elevator (though I’m partial to the term “flippers” that Wolfgang Langewiesche used in his classic http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070362408Stick and Rudder). The fixed portion of the horizontal tail (which is composite, as you describe) is called the horizontal stabilizer.

Cheers,
Roger

Roger:
Thank you for your wonderful anatomy lesson. Many of the aircraft I have been flying before the Cirrus have the entire horizontal tail section move; such as the Cessna Cardinal. As a result, the terms “horizontal stabilizer” and “elevator” often become blurred. In the case of the Cardinal, there are no elevators at all; just one bigger horizontal stabilizer.
Since we are dealing with an interbational crowd where terminology is often different “across the pond”, I just wanted to be sure we were both talking about the SAME PART OF THE PLANE.

Sorry to be picky, but I believe the phrase is “stablator”, referring to a control surface which incorporates stablizer and elevator.

Many of the aircraft I have been flying before the Cirrus have the entire horizontal tail section move; such as the Cessna Cardinal. As a result, the terms “horizontal stabilizer” and “elevator” often become blurred. In the case of the Cardinal, there are no elevators at all; just one bigger horizontal stabilizer.

Brian,

An excellent point. The arrangement on the Cardinal (or, for that matter, on the Piper Cherokee series) is often called a “stabilator” for that reason.

Another bit of bastardized terminology is “elevon,” used for wing control surfaces that can be used as either elevators (when used in unison) or ailerons (when used differentially), such as on airplanes with no horizontal tail (like Concorde or a Convair F-102). And then there are the “ruddervators” on V-tail Bonanzas…

Cheers,
Roger

I actually think Roger is right; it IS “stabilator”.

In reply to:

Thanks for your reply. You are correct I am part of the group that Clyde belongs to. In addition I hope that by the end of the day I am a full member of COPA, thus allowing me to join the members discussions. I must say however it seems that the public area does discuss some interesting topics.

Rick:
Wait 'till you see the Member’s Only section!!!

Welcome a-board

Thanks all for the assistance with our empannage terminology, but the real question is, “Has anyone experienced any corrosion on the metal thingy at the back of the plane?”

Roger: You’re a renaisance man! “flippers?” Isn’t that a bit archaic? There have been quite a few advances in aviation technology since then. Although I do like avoiding the term ‘elevator’ (Yikes- better not start these conversations again!) because it begs the question: “So, it makes the plane go up and down?”

Marty

In reply to:

Happy to say, a new member of COPA

Welcome aboard, Rick!

• Mike.

Rick,

Bonzer!

Cheers,
Roger

Thats a Pommy expression (bonzer) :slight_smile: . Thanks any way I look forward to some interesting stuff.

Ripper, is more what I think you meant

Strewth! Heaven forfend I should be mistaken for a whingeing Pom (no offense to my many non-whingeing Pom friends!). Anyway, welcome to the club!

Cheers,
Roger

Beg to differ, Rick. Bonza (sometimes spelt Bonzer) is very much Australian, though somewhat out of fashion these days.

Not to get too technical, but isn’t the proper term “whingeing Pommy bastard”? [;)]

Joe