Can anyone help my dream come true...

Many years ago I was an aspiring student pilot but like so many I ran out of money before I could finish my private. Now that I have the money I doubt that I could pass the medical due to a bladder cancer diagnosis. I am not sure if that really is the case and can’t find anything on the FAA site about it. If any of you have experience with getting a medical after a cancer diagnosis please feel free to chime in on this as well.

Ever since I first read about the Cirrus it has been my dream to go for a flight in one to see if it really is as amazing as it looks in the magazines. I know that this is asking a lot but if anyone is ever in the Mattoon, IL (KMTO) area and would be willing to give me a ride I would appreciate it. Doesn’t have to be a long ride but I would really like to see what I am missing and maybe it will encourage me to investigate getting my medical again (if possible)

Thanks, and happy flying.

Brad

Brad,

If you ever come to California let me know. I can take you up.

I am sure someone from IL will chime in…

Good luck

Alex

Brad,

Would love too, but sold our SR22T one year ago… And indeed, to fly it, was a dream come true!

Brad. AOPA has a medical line that can give you a lot of answers. An experienced AME can provide insights informally as well. Best of luck. I am confident you will find at least one ride on this forum. Unfortunately I will be working on getting my own medical back over the coming months. Otherwise I would offer a ride if you are ever in this neck of the woods.

It really is amazing how the flying community works. I ask a couple simple questions and have already had an offer of a flight in a Cirrus and some good advise on the medical. Thanks to everyone.

It is the flying community in general, but it is COPA in particular. You should join. You would be amazed.

Brad,

I’m based in Champaign (KCMI) and I fly a G1 Cirrus SR22. I flew over MTO on Monday I’d be happy to find a time to fly with you and I’m always looking for excuses to fly. Email me at: bartsch848@gmail.com

It may take a few days to get back to you, but it should be no problem to find time to fly once the weather clears out. It may be an expensive flight through if it gives you the flying bug :slight_smile:

Eric Bartsch

Long-time (and active) member Don Mertke beat bladder cancer just a few years ago and is flying like crazy now. I’ll COPA-mail him to alert him of your post and maybe you guys can get in touch.

Brad,

I’m based in Champaign (KCMI) and I fly a G1 Cirrus SR22. I actually flew over MTO on Monday coming back into CMI. I’d be happy to find a time to fly with you and I’m always looking for good excuses to fly. Email me at: bartsch848@gmail.com

It may take a few days for me to get back to you, but it should be no problem to find time to fly once the weather clears out. It may be an expensive flight though if it gives you the flying bug :slight_smile:

Eric Bartsch

(this version edited to make a bit more sense, shouldn’t type so fast…)

Gordon mailed me about this post. Lets talk I had to get my medical back two times. once when the BC was put in remission then after it came back and I had to have my bladder removed. It is for sure doable and the key is the rite Doctors. Give me a call I will guide you I will also fly there and take you for a ride and we will work out the details. if you want. I also recommend joining, Several members are Uros and some helped guide me. Know this I am here for you on the BC. I know much more about it than I wish I did. By the way I am sporting a neo bladder and it works great. Don

My email is pilot78451@aol.com I will get you my phone I no do not want to post it on guest forum

Brad, if you are ever in Kansas City, give me a ring and lets fly!

Brad,

The answer to your question is complex and depends on the type of bladder cancer (superficial low grade or invasive), the treatment required, the extent of the tumor (local or metastatic), medications etc.

I am a former AME and a retired urologist who is pretty knowledgeable about certification under these circumstances. I’d be happy to talk with you if you would like. My number is 847-702-9862 (Central Time Zone)

But get armed with great patience… Bryan is so respectful of other planes in the pattern that would sit and wait for 15 or more minutes at hold short, to let them land first… I know so because he does this on camera! [:D]

I am never in any hurry!

Hi Brad,

PM me - I think I should be able to help you.

Shiv

Brad,

We spoke and then didn’t get back in touch prior to my heavy travel season and the month long annual on my plane. If you are still looking for a ride, please let me know.

Feel free to send me a email, ill fly up from TN. Jamesrm at bellsouth dot net
22 G2 with four blade prop