Brake failure

With the Cirrus being steered with differential braking, if you have a brake failure on one side what is the procedure for keeping it on the runway?Larry

With the Cirrus being steered with differential braking, if you have a brake failure on one side what is the procedure for keeping it on the runway?

Keeping it on the runway’s not the problem - getting it to the ramp is! More seriously, the rudder is enough to keep straight while you still have some speed up, but I would expect the biggest danger to be veering to the side when you apply brakes to slow down - which is why the pre-landing check of the brake pressure is important. Once you’re down and stopped, if you can’t steer with the brakes, get out the towbar.

Short runways would be a real danger, but long ones should be no problem controlling direction with the rudder.

One other technique I can share that I learned from experience is that 270 degree turns can help you navigate through problem areas. I highly recommend using the tow bar if you can, but if you need to turn in the direction of the failed brake (say to leave the runway), a left 270 will get you there and may be the only way to keep from rolling off the end and hitting whatever is there. Been there, done that. Be careful out there.

Roger

N706CD

With the Cirrus being steered with differential braking, if you have a brake failure on one side what is the procedure for keeping it on the runway?

Keeping it on the runway’s not the problem - getting it to the ramp is! More seriously, the rudder is enough to keep straight while you still have some speed up, but I would expect the biggest danger to be veering to the side when you apply brakes to slow down - which is why the pre-landing check of the brake pressure is important. Once you’re down and stopped, if you can’t steer with the brakes, get out the towbar.