Be Careful

That’s what I thought. So there’s really no difference with the side stick

In reply to:

So there’s really no difference with the side stick.

Correct. The most common conversation I have with righties on this subject goes like this:

RIGHTY: “I wonder what it’s like flying that side stick… it’s on the left, and I’m right handed.”

ME: “What hand do you use on the yoke now?”

RIGHTY: "Oh, yeah… "

[:)]

Mike

Another point to remember is that in order to get full screen glideslope and localizer indication that the map on the Sandel has to be turned off. Also, when the #2 Garmin is also tuned to the localizer you get the conventional indication on the #2 indicator and you are not relying just on the Sandel for localizer and glideslope. Also with the Avidiyne, the heading is displayed top and center on the display. Thus all 3 elements, glideslope, localizer and heading are displayed on instruments other than the Sandel.

These options are only available on the B model with dual 430’s and Avidyne.

In reply to:

If it were me, I’d just practice writing numbers and vor’s for a few hours with my right hand. In my experience, re-routing is frequent while in the air, but usually the amount of copy is relatively brief…maybe one or two fixes to an approach transition and an altitude.

Dave,
Would that it were so!
Don’t know where you’re based… but around the northeast, re-routes are often long and involved (and are sometimes read out by the dude who rattles off the disclaimer at the end of a commercial on the radio). BUT… my autopilot has been rock-solid since my first early failure… so it’s not an issue. If the need arises again, I still find it MUCH easier to fly with my right hand and write with my left - especially if I want to be able to read it afterwards.
Also, as Bill Dobson said… it’s pretty easy to trim for hands-free flying… if it’s too turbulent for that, I’d likely just tell ATC that I’m unable to copy the clearance. We’re not obligated to accept the new clearance anyway.

Mike.

Responding with ‘Words Twice’ will slow them down a little
but may make them uncooperative from then on.

– Andrew

In reply to:

According to the POH flying IMC from the right seat is prohibited with the Sandel.

Good point. That means that a CFII couldn’t teach an Instrument student in actual IMC conditions.

• Mike.

In reply to:

According to the POH flying IMC from the right seat is prohibited with the Sandel.

I would imagine that that restriction would go away once the new version is deployed later this year.