Baron 58 To an SR-22 some advice

Victor:

I would suggest that if you go for a turbo Cirrus, forget the A/C.

Agree. It is always cool in the high 'teens, and with the TN you’ll always want to be there, for the comfort, speed, and safety.

Victor - I agree with Brian and Gordon. Forget the AC. You will want the TN for speed and comfort. If you ever want to save some gas, you can just dial the power back a bit. Good luck - John

Victor: The twins I owned prior to the Cirrus had A/C, and we got used to it. Although we cruise in the mid-teens, there is some time spent on the ground during taxi/takeoff landing/taxi phase that can be pretty hot/humid. Also, there is a lot of time being vectored down low since we mostly fly IFR, especially when in Florida or near Philadelphia for example. During those vectors at a few thousand feet, it can be hot and humid and bumpy, and we like having A/C for those times (which can be pretty often).

My point is that if it is 90% of the time just you and your wife (per your original post), I think the A/C is quite nice to have. We certainly love it.

-Scott

2 words combined - ArcticAir. Just get the ice unit and let it rip when you need it. Then leave it when you don’t. The AC is a maintenance dog that you’ll be cursing about guaranteed.

The AC is a maintenance dog that you’ll be cursing about guaranteed.

This has been true of so many planes of all types…But I haven’t heard too many complaints from Cirrus A/C owners.

I do like the arcticair idea- you can get it out when you don’t want it, and it’s not too big a nuisance.

No problems with A/C in my 2007 Cirrus nor my 2010 Cirrus so far. I like that I can just “click on / click off” without the arctic cooler, but I have the payload and range I need with the A/C, so I don’t find it to be an issue. To each their own, so either way is fine. I just like having it available at the click of a button and use it in winter months down south and of course all summer long.

-Scott

Scott:

I suggested no AC in the turbo due to potential CG issues. If you fly only with folks in the front seat, depending on your weight, you may encounter a forward CG issue. We have had two very hot summers here but I fly from an airport with minimal ground delays. Do not miss the AC at all as in about 5 minutes you are climbing into cooler air and enjoy the extra weight, CG options, and lack of hassle with maintenance issues.

But conditions vary per individual but beware of that CG issue.

+1 Victor. A/C is used on a regular basis in Florida and summer months.

+2 (for Gorden!) but the only climate control that is important in the Turbo is the fan for the short times on the ground, and the heating system. In 2.5 years flying a TN22, I have only been truly uncomfortable a couple of times, and I have been to all 4 sides of the US in that bird. Now tricks that I have incorporated include flying early when departing with passengers when possible. And keeping it covered with a hangar or Bruce cover to keep the aircraft from getting heat soaked, when that is not practical. The cover makes a big difference. If someone were to say what about when you fly low, I would say to them,“why fly low”? Even on short trips, the aircraft climbs at a higher TAS than the NA aircraft flies in level flight, so maximize the altitude advantage.

Not me

Once again, thank you for this wealth of information. The
Baron was sold this weekend and I have joined COPA so I will post in the members
section in the future. TKS is a minimum must for me; Turbo appears the way to
go especially for 3-4 hour trips. I have flown countless hours between Illinois
and Southern Georgia and attest to the many times that the difference between
8-12K and 18-20K were very significant. Also the fact that I can actually beat
my Baron by 10 Knots with only one fan is unbelievable. Lastly, while I understand the pros and cons
on the air-conditioning South Georgia and Florida can be brutal in the summer. When
IFR flying south of Okeechobee they (ATC) will always drop you down to 2-4K for the
last 45 minutes so the A/C is a must.

Does anybody have a an empty weight, arms and moment for a
2004-2008 turbo, TKS with A/C. Alternatively, what would the payload be with
full fuel and are there any quirky forward CG issues that would preclude say
350 pounds of pilot and copilot?

Yeah, and at 17 GPH LOP (yielding 200 KTAS) and with gear down and glued, too!

So few members read the Public Forum that I suggest that you re-post your inquiry on an appropriate section of the Members forum. Then you’ll get many replies.

Welcome to COPA!

2,175 clicks? You could hardly have done better.

I think you did pretty well for the public forum.

And the discourse was civil and informative.

Good COPA ad.

So thanks for that, and welcome.

You’re gonna love flying that thing!