backup AI, panel space, etc.

This post is as well for the APG (Arnav-Pro-Gang) as for the ACG (Arnav-Contra-Gang) :slight_smile:
I’m addressing both “parties” for the reason that the APG is groving in members, not because of satisfaction, but obviously for more fatalistic reasons (if it doesn’t get better, let’s make the best of the actual situation and dream on possibilities) :wink:
Now before charging your phasers go on reading and I’ll let my shields down…
This is an additional gadget for filling the wast panel space won by having trashed the Arnav for those who want to do so, or another handheld safety feature for those who want to keep it, but don’t have the required panel space for a second/backup AI.
Having this said we are at the point:
It’s another application for a PocketPC (like Casio, iPaq), a “virtual” EFIS showing flight attitude, GS + trend, VS + trend, altitude and ground track.

Attitude is provided by an external “GyroChip” without any mechanical parts consisting of a unique micromachined double-ended quartz tuning fork and advanced electronics, which uses the Coriolis effect to sense yaw rates (for technically more interested check out http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/Sensors Magazine).

For the rest of us, it’s the same thing as used in the stabilization systems of the 777 or Apache copter.

Speeds, track and altitude is provided by an external GPS.

For more info on the PCEFIS check out http://www.pcflightsystems.comSellers Aviation, Ocala, FL.

Now if you have the Anywheremap application on your Casio or iPaq along with the coupled small GPS, you have backup navigation.

In case of a total electric failure switch to the EFIS application and you have backup attitude.
The two hours battery lifetime should be sufficient for a safe landing.

Watch out how a tiny handheld can (almost) replace the whole bunch of Garmins and Arnavs in an emergency. All this for the fraction of the costs of a mechanical (vac./elec.) AI.

BTW Robert, Jim, Mike regarding your posts below, all the things on your wish list for your Arnav are already available for the Apollo MX 20 incl. sectionals, approach plates, topography, traffic (though I realize the difference/advantage of the 10" screen).

Since now it is obvious that CD and Arnav are watching this site, I wonder if they get at least the useless international database fixed within the next weeks, else we’ll have to bail it out and replace it by Moving Terrain which can display enroute, sectional, terminal charts, all intersections / fixes (for direct routing), soon approach plates, plus the best traffic in form of small airplanes with the appropriate heading and performed track. It’s a 6" screen like the MX 20 but it can drive an additional 10" screen.

Now my shields are up

Regards

Wilfried

For more info on the PCEFIS check out http://www.pcflightsystems.comSellers Aviation, Ocala, FL.
Wilfried,
I know someone locally who’s got this PCEFIS system - it’s really slick. Would be of great help in the event everything goes wrong (i.e. lose your gyros, whether vacuum or electric) in the soup.
BTW Robert, Jim, Mike regarding your posts below, all the things on your wish list for your Arnav are already available for the Apollo MX 20 incl. sectionals, approach plates, topography, traffic (though I realize the difference/advantage of the 10" screen).
Almost, but not quite… True sectionals are NOT available on the MX20 (you’d need to look at the Avidyne displays for those I think) but it does have a sectional-like display, that shows color coded elevations, etc. The benefit is that since it’s not an actual sectional, the labels can always be right-side-up, even when track-up and track is not 360.

Traffic is not yet available on the MX20 (except for thier experimental work with ADS-B). They expect both TCAD and Skywatch in the fall, according to the guy I talked to at OSH.

In a presentation from Apollo, they mentioned something about showing traffic as a small triangle with a line coming out of the triangle showing where its position would be in 30 seconds (or some other user-defined time) – that would be a cool new twist on the traffic display. It wasn’t clear to me, though, whether that would apply to the TCAD/Skywatch interface or only their ADS-B interface.

But the approach plate feature looks really nice!

Since now it is obvious that CD and Arnav are watching this site, I wonder if they get at least the useless international database fixed within the next weeks, else we’ll have to bail it out and replace it by Moving Terrain which can display enroute, sectional, terminal charts, all intersections / fixes (for direct routing), soon approach plates, plus the best traffic in form of small airplanes with the appropriate heading and performed track. It’s a 6" screen like the MX 20 but it can drive an additional 10" screen.

What do you know about Moving Terrain? I’d never heard of them prior to your post and I’m looking at their website now. Have you seen one of their systems? Are they currently shipping systems? Is it available in the US? (Looks like the web screen shots are of European charts) – were they at oshkosh? I don’t remember seeing them.

Thanks for the info!!

Steve

Wilfried: Another possibility for obtaining panel space for a more conventional backup AH is the new Garmin type S transponder. Garmin specifies that in addition to the type S capabilities of the new transponder, which I think is the Garmin 300, it also has outside air temperature and density altitude displays. The new unit is available “early 2002” according to Garmin.

The SR22 already has a voltmeter on the right hand panel. Wwith the OAT display being on the new transponder and clock displays available on the 430 it might be possible to convince your local FSDO to allow the removal of the Davtron clock/oat/voltmeter and use that space for the Goodrich AIM series backup AH.

I’m going to the Garmin “road show” presentation on the Garmin 430/530 on August 15 and I may be able to get information on the new transponder then. They also have a weather data receiver that interfaces with the 430. I’ll see what I can find on that unit also.

The benefit is that since it’s not an actual sectional, the labels can always be right-side-up, even when track-up and track is not 360.

… nice feature, keep dreaming on this APG

Traffic is not yet available on the MX20 (except for thier experimental work with ADS-B). They expect both TCAD and Skywatch in the fall, according to the guy I talked to at OSH.

… is Arnav expecting traffic at all ?

In a presentation from Apollo, they mentioned something about showing traffic as a small triangle with a line coming out of the triangle showing where its position would be in 30 seconds (or some other user-defined time) – that would be a cool new twist on the traffic display.
… this feature is included already in MovingTerrain. It connects to the Ryan TCAD, for Skywatch you’ll need an interface from ARINC to RS232.

What do you know about Moving Terrain? I’d never heard of them prior to your post and I’m looking at their website now. Have you seen one of their systems? Are they currently shipping systems? Is it available in the US? (Looks like the web screen shots are of European charts) – were they at oshkosh? I don’t remember seeing them.

Steve: see below, yes, yes, yes, no.

1. It’s also an embedded PC running DOS with the size of 6.25" x 6" x 1.9", has 6,5" diagonal, 640x480 pixel, 256 colors TFT display. There is a mobile version in a quick release chassis (so it can be considered as mobile equipment = no certification req.) or a version incl. certification according to TSO C113.

Thus you can make your flight planning conveniently at home.

1. Yes, I had it in my hands, really fancy.

2. Now don’t ask for the exact time, but my guess is they’re selling them since 6-8 years, always improving it and adding new features others are dreaming of (e.g. a “virtual” DME to the destination/next NAVAID shown in a corner).

3. Yes, they have a US sales organisation based in Costa Mesa, CA and Clearwater, FL.

4. No, no display in Oshkosh.

Hope this helps. I’ll try to get a link showing screenshots of US sectionals, terminal, approach plates or custom charts.

Stay tuned.

Wilfried

Wilfried: I looked at the PcFlightSystems again. You are right, no FCC approval would be needed. It would be simplest to take off the GPS serial output from one of the 430’s and provide permenent power to the unit and some type of mounting bracket. Do you know of anyone using such a unit in a Cirrus? Can you also use the iPAC as a PIM?

Wilfried: I looked at the PcFlightSystems again. You are right, no FCC approval would be needed. It would be simplest to take off the GPS serial output from one of the 430’s and provide permenent power to the unit and some type of mounting bracket. Do you know of anyone using such a unit in a Cirrus? Can you also use the iPAC as a PIM?

No Cirrus user known to me, but look to the post of Steve above.

I guess you can use any PocketPC, as far I know they (PCFlightsystems) use an iPaq themselves.

If you use already/additionally AnywhereMap, you already have a GPS receiver coming along with that. It’s as big as a cigarette lighter and works on batteries. The Garmins won’t work in case of a total elec. failure.

No Cirrus user known to me, but look to the post of Steve above.

The folks I mentioned use a Garmin 295 (handheld) as the GPS feed to the PCFlightSystems unit. The idea is for redundancy in case of “very bad things” (i.e. electric and/or vacuum failure) so they wanted something with its own batteries.

Steve

Good idea, but don’t count on the FAA being reasonable regarding removal of the installed guages. They have routinely refused to allow removal of installed CHT/EGT guages when adding JPI or Insight engine monitors. They give various reasons, one of which is there’s no provision for red/yellow/green arcs on the electronic displays.

FWIT, very few guages in the military planes I flew had limitations indicated on them. The airspeed indicator might have a high-end mach limit needle, perhaps, or maybe an overtemp light on a TIT guage, but no colored arcs. Same with oil pressure, temperature, etc. You were expected to know the limitations. I’m not saying that’s a good idea (I would have liked the convenience of the arcs!) but it shows that aircraft can be safely flown without them. (Not to mention that the unmarked guages make for better parts interchangibility and thus easier spares management.)

Joe

The SR22 already has a voltmeter on the right hand panel. Wwith the OAT display being on the new transponder and clock displays available on the 430 it might be possible to convince your local FSDO to allow the removal of the Davtron clock/oat/voltmeter and use that space for the Goodrich AIM series backup AH.

Wilfried: Another possibility for obtaining panel space for a more conventional backup AH is

… Stephen, the point with a PocketPC is you need NOT alter your panel and have battery driven moving map and AH. And you need not to ask FAA.

Wilfried