Avidyne Pricing

In the January 2002 Cirrus Update, they gave pricing information for the Avidyne EX3000C @ $1K and EX5000C @ $3950 above current contract price. The difference between the two is that the EX5000C will accept information from other sources (GPS, etc.) through the ARINC 429 data format, while the EX3000C uses the traditional RS 232 line.

Ian has stated that this format is the “higher end” interface of choice for avionics suppliers. Although I am an electronics engineer (analog), I don’t have any experience with ARINC 429. Any opinions out there as to whether this is worth an extra $3K?

Thanks,

Walt N224AZ

My understanding is that ARINC 429 is a richer format and allows the depiction of curved courses such as DME arcs and holds. ARINC 429 support is also required to depict SkyWatch information on the MFD.

I am seriously considering replacing the ICDS2000 in my SR22 when Avidyne adds the promised engine monitoring system. I have Skywatch installed and want traffic information displayed on the MFD.

The Arnav unit is unable to display Skywatch alerts. With the present installation, when Skywatch issues a traffic alert it displays as a “must clear” page over both GNS 430 displays. This is redundant, annoying and suboptimal. The right place to put traffic alert information(and curved approach courses) is the big MFD just to the right of the normal scan.

George

Post deleted by Bill_Dobson

Thanks for the input that builds on Ian’s comments. T big screen with the contoured “map” should definitly help with situational awareness.

After re-reading the update, I’m confused. I will call Cirrus Monday, since it’s not clear if the EX3000C is even available for the SR22. It seems that for the SR22 it’s a choice of staying with the ARNAV (which Cirrus will no longer offer for new sales) or the EX5000C for an additional $3950.

Walt N224AZ

ARINC 429 is a specification detailing how avionics communicate with each other. The Garmin 430 conforms to the ARINC 429 specification and thus can communicate with any device programmed to “understand” the datastream output by the 430. Units like the ARNAV and AVIDYNE are simply flat panel computers and are not complicated at all. Flat panel computers like them can be purchased for about $2000.
While there is no question the flat panel displays are neat and useful, their price is quite steep considering the key component of the system, (Garmin 430), is already installed.

George,

If you look at the new image posts on the ARNAV upgrade, the Skywatch alerts will show in the upper left hand corner of the ARNAV.

I also find that it is annoying to have to clear the GNS430 screens on a traffic alert, especially when I usually keep my #2 430 set to Nav 3 traffic mode already. Is there a way to disable this function in the 430?

Paul
N925PW

Are you saying you can swap your Arnav for an EX5000C for $3950?
Richard N359S

The way I read it was that on the SR20 A model you have the option of the EX3000C or EX 5000C or ARNAV. SR20 B and C models as well as SR22’s you can only pick Avidyne EX 5000C or ARNAV.

New Airplane orders only have the option of Avidyne. The SR20A model will have the option of EX 3000C or EX 5000C. All other models will only have EX 5000C. This is just the way I read it. My guess is that if everyone is picking the EX 5000C, then the 3000 model will go away.

I think a switch to the Avidyne on a delivered plane with a ARNAV already installed will run you around $15,000. There is some value to the used ARNAV, but don’t know what that would be.

That’s my understanding. What was confusing was the statement " Avidyne has agreed to produce two “private label” versions of their display for Cirrus SR20 and SR22 aircraft."

I’ve decided to go with the Avidyne EX5000C, and appreciate the inputs.

Walt N224AZ

Paul,
You make an excellent point about ARNAV promising a more robust display in the future. Unfortunately, I believe this will require a “hardware upgrade,” which sounds to me suspiciously like a new unit. Therefore, the ARNAV vs. Avidyne issue for me will be decided by economics as much as anything else. Will the upgraded ARNAV Arinc 429 compatible display with Engine View come out cheaper than a new Avidyne? I hope that ARNAV delivers at an attractive price.

George

George, my suspicion is that it won’t even be close, considering that implicitly Arnav will be giving a credit for the “old” unit and Avidyne won’t. We’ll see.

Andy

George,

In the end, I think that we Cirrus owners will have two very competitive solutions for an MFD. I do think that the Cirrus decision to bring in Avidyne had a significant impact on the ARNAV development cycle. As I have commented previosuly, I really have no anxieties with my decision to go with the ARNAV in November…so you have hit the ultimate issue on the head…which will end up being cheaper…I do believe that both vendors will feel the competitive pressures moving forward, This can only be good for all of us…

Paul
N925PW

[Note: This was in reply to a post regarding the OS in the Avidyne MFD by Bill Dobson that was deleted.]

Both the Avidyne and the Arnav use MS OS’s, but the Avidyne uses the “Embedded” version of NT, which is used in dedicated applications such as medical and laboratory instrumentation and critical applications. Embedded NT allows you to roll your own OS with only the components necessary for your application. In the case of the Avidyne all the networking and “desktop” UI elements have been removed.

I can speak with some authority on this as my company is currently developing a medical lab instrument which will run on Embedded NT (actually Embedded XP, which we just got our hands on).

Is it a perfect OS? Of course not. Is it appropriate for use in a MFD? In my opinion, yes.

I originally had the same thought; great competition going forward. But now that Cirrus is removing the Arnav option from future airplane orders, the Arnav is looking like an orphan. I originally planned to wait for the new Arnav HW release, then install it together with SkyWatch and EngineMonitoring in one go. Now it seems to me the best path would be to wait for Avidyne’s STC, and their engine monitoring (if ever), and then move that way so my plane compares favorably with more recent production at resale time. The one thing in common with the alternatives is to WAIT!

-Curt