ARNAV Revisited (part 2)

Well, here are the updates:

I’ve spoken with Jeff @ ARNAV, who was very responsive and helpful. When he didn’t have answers he called me back the same day. That is all I could ask for from a company.

ARNAV reports that in the next month or so there will be a new software and instruction/user’s manual updates. Included will be many changes recommended by those of us who have given them feedback.

At this point, other than their responsiveness on the telephone, nothing has really changed. The proof will be in the pudding. When the new installation & owner’s manuals and software come out, we will see.

So, I will raise them from a “D-” to a “C+” based solely on the responsiveness. (That is very important to me.) I stand by my previous recommendation of not purchasing the system today, but I will modify it as such:

“Don’t buy it today unless you are very technically oriented or just can’t wait. I would wait and see how the new manuals and software turn out.” I hope it will turn out well.

Other comments: ARNAV is aware that the screen is hard to remove or load new software into, but when originally designed, the radio stack “hump” was not there.

Reading between the lines and combining Jeff’s comments with some other thoughts I’ve seen posted here, YES, the screen is CAPABLE of a higher resolution, but there seems to be a compromise between resolution and processor speed and refresh rates.

I wil lcontinue to update the Forum as things change.

Marty SR22 N191KM

Marty,

If the Arnav CPU and video controller can’t support 1024 X 768 resolution at a decent frame rate (At 13 Grand, a simple and inexpensive accomplishment with TODAYS technology) Arnav will never be anything more than an “exercise to nowhere”. It appears their technical people all but admitted that their HARWARE is inadequate (=obsolete). Software can’t make pigs fly. Large screens require a significantly higher screen resolution than their smaller counterparts.

P.S. Call me crazy, but I for one have a hard time reconciling the fact that the worlds most innovative GA aircraft has the LEAST innovative M/F navigation display.

Silk puse/sows ear etc…

Just my 2.5 cents

Richard D #513

I’ve spoken with Jeff @ ARNAV, who was very responsive and helpful. When he didn’t have answers he called me back the same day. That is all I could ask for from a company.

ARNAV reports that in the next month or so there will be a new software and instruction/user’s manual updates. Included will be many changes recommended by those of us who have given them feedback.

At this point, other than their responsiveness on the telephone, nothing has really changed. The proof will be in the pudding. When the new installation & owner’s manuals and software come out, we will see.

So, I will raise them from a “D-” to a “C+” based solely on the responsiveness. (That is very important to me.) I stand by my previous recommendation of not purchasing the system today, but I will modify it as such:

“Don’t buy it today unless you are very technically oriented or just can’t wait. I would wait and see how the new manuals and software turn out.” I hope it will turn out well.

Other comments: ARNAV is aware that the screen is hard to remove or load new software into, but when originally designed, the radio stack “hump” was not there.

Reading between the lines and combining Jeff’s comments with some other thoughts I’ve seen posted here, YES, the screen is CAPABLE of a higher resolution, but there seems to be a compromise between resolution and processor speed and refresh rates.

Marty SR22 N191KM

This is the typical software developers run around (it will be fixed in the next release). It is designed to get you off their back for a month or so. By then they may have found the problem or the tech support guy will have gotten another job. In either case he probably won’t have to deal with you again.

Reading between the lines and combining Jeff’s comments with some other thoughts I’ve seen posted here, YES, the screen is CAPABLE of a higher resolution, but there seems to be a compromise between resolution and processor speed and refresh rates

The Arnav screen, according to the guy I spoke to at Arnav some time ago, has a 200 MHz Pentium processor. This is perfectly capable of updating a 640x480 resolution screen (which is, I believe, what the ICDS2000 is) at a reasonable rate. Hells bells - it only needs updating once a second! We’re not wanting to play video games on it! At 640x480 with anti-aliasing, it could look stunning.

The only thing wrong with the ICDS2000 is with the people writing the software (and the “manuals”).

Apropos the Mac comparison - the ICDS2000 actually has some kind of embedded DOS underneath - you sometimes get to see the A:> prompt. It wouldn’t surprise me if the software is written in Basic.

I think this board has been really helpful and informative to owners and position holders. But I have a question: so many issues have been raised on various items- ARNAV, installations, vacuum pumps, and other squawks - are these getting to Cirrus so that something definitive can be done about them??? The supposition that someone from Cirrus is monitoring this board is not enough.

Earlier someone mentioned the owners’ association idea and I think that’s a good one. I’m sure the individual owners with squawks are dealing directly with Cirrus but there’s been so much other widespread discussion here it would seem a more broader discourse with Cirrus is necessary to make sure more positive things happen in the future. Bottom line is most businesses are customer driven. We ARE the customers, aren’t we?

What do ya guys think?

Bruce #368

PS next year at an east coast or better yet Florida fly-in! :slight_smile:

Marty SR22 N191KM

Apropos the Mac comparison - the ICDS2000 actually has some kind of embedded DOS underneath - you sometimes get to see the A:> prompt. It wouldn’t surprise me if the software is written in Basic.

Clyde! I think you may have hit on the solution! Tell Arnav to remove the REM statements from their program and it will run faster!!

-Mike

Hey, I have my Cirrus becaus of BASIC. Dont be too harsh on it!

Hey, I have my Cirrus becaus of BASIC. Dont be too harsh on it!

I’ll have mine because of Delphi. So my airplane won’t require a ton of DLLs to get off the ground. ; >