Annual inspection cost

Great explanation Ken! Thanks for putting in the time to explain this to us. Unfortunately, I don’t know what it is like anymore to not work with a 145 shop since I don’t really have any leeway with my current plane. You basically have to fix everything period, no exceptions in the jet world.

I have maintained a PA32, C340 and C421. This discussion is the same regardless of. The airplane. Relatively speaking the sr22 is not a complex airplane.

As soon as you equate spending more money with better maintenance and a safer airplane you are in for a disappointing expensive GA experience. Owners need to take control of their maintenance or hire Savvy to do it for them.

Ken:

You are one of the few that actually posts an honest and upfront explanation of what is going on in the “maintenance world” today. Most of the mechanics are handcuffed to some degree when it comes to working with any owner. But an owner/operator has to know that ans few reveal the “rules” as you have so thank you for that! But an owner needs to know this stuff and come, not just a PIC when flying, but an OIC (owner in command) when dealing with maintenance. That term (OIC) is coined by Mike Busch. My opinion is that anyone that owns an aircraft should consider his book “Manifesto” required reading. He points out, appropriately so, that many smart people buy airplanes and many smart people know how to work with service contractors. But those same smart people violate all the “rules” for dealing with service contractors when it comes to aircraft maintenance. Read his book for an explanation. It costs less than $15 and has a wealth of “pearls” for the aircraft owner and only takes a day or two to read.

Thanks for the explanation Kenny. Seems to be my experience with the 145 station. They are under different management since Joe used them. I have appreciated the experience. Now flying the turbine, it is a little difference. Like Joe said it all has to be spec, or no fly. I will try to get an MEL list, so that I can fly with a host of nuisance failures if they occur. But the kinds of operation list does not apply to the turbine world. It either works or you stay on the ground.

Thanks again Kenny, will drop by next time at HEF, and if you ever find yourself out in OGD or Park City, I have a place for you to stay. C

Kenny, not sure I showed you your handiwork, but the Mirage flew about the best I can remember after you replaced the mag and retimed her. She almost talked me out of trading her in on the Meridian when I got back.

How about 200 KTAS in a plane weighing over 4000 lbs at FL240 on 15.5 gph and CHT’s in the low 300’s. Would love to see what you could have done with my Cirrus. Made HEF to OGD 1630 nm with one stop and headwinds the whole way. For those not familiar with the Lycoming, Lyc’s run higher TIT’s especially LOP due to lower compression and some other tuning issues in an engine not designed up front to run LOP, but do have a tougher exhaust, which cancels out the heat issue somewhat.

Kenny,

Good looking numbers. Do you use the digital protractor method to set the timing? Bet you do, gives numbers like this every time.

Are you nuts? Anarchy, you say . . . If the costs of aviation were really understood, nobody would by our planes.

And BTW, you shouldn’t start a sentence with “But”, and you did it twice in one paragraph. I see why you had to go to medical school.

Chuck,

Didn’t Piper have a MEL for you? If you need someone to make one for you, I know a lady who does that as well as RVSM stuff that is fantastic in Oregon. I tried to get her to make my MEL one engine, but she refused. [:P] Here is her website. http://www.jetrvsm.com/index.php She had my RVSM & MEL approved with the SLC FSDO in two weeks while I was doing the pre-buy and closing. The FSDO knew her well and my books had no corrections needed.

I second the recommendation for Christy at JetRVSM. [Y]

Thanks for the tip. Someone gave me Wilding Air as a reference, apparently they have experience with the Meridian. Not sure if anyone has RVSM’d a Meridian, though, seems like a lot of trouble and money for an additional 2000 feet. Not enough pressurization differential to make it comfortable anyway.

Up to you, but we don’t RVSM the PC12s we fly for work for the cost of showing training,etc. and the difference of 2000 ft. I cetainly wouldn’t do a Meridian, but that is just me.

No problem Mr. Rainey. Unfortunately when you move up that usually happens. Turbines( at least most when certified) have a Maintenance Review Board process they go through and that’s what mandates all of your inspections be done at specific times. No varying from that but it’s all for the best for sure. Moving gear, hull fatigue from pressurization, heat from a turbine all calls for a rigid frequent inspection program. That being said though still do not let them rip you off! :slight_smile:

Thank you Dr. B ! I try to follow the Allen Greenspan Philosophy and it seems to be working for me in my early days of trying to be an entrepreneur ! “I have found no greater satisfaction than achieving success through honest dealing and strict adherence to the view that, for you to gain, those you deal with should gain as well.”
Alan Greenspan

Yes sir you did show us and we shut down the shop, high fives all around and went out to dinner! We could see it was pretty good on the ground but it looks beautiful in the air! We may actually owe you some royalties! We used your engine to make a video on timing a Lycoming for a training video we sold to the local A&P schools. It was only $25 but fair is fair!

Yes we do roger and I should actually be thanking you and JIm B. For sharing your experiences with me on the topic. We do it all the time now. Turbo, N/A, Cirrus, Cessna, Piper they all get the same treatment. Results have been pretty awesome!

I can work up a quote for you sir. I do MEL’s and RVSM for Jets and Turbines all the time. If the numbers look right I will be happy to do it for you. Sometimes they ask to actually see the aircraft but that’s usually very rare. Other than that it’s just paperwork.

I’ll give you a call… C

I did my MEL myself using the Master MEL on the FAA website. Was pretty easy, but getting someone to do it for you is probably worthwhile.

As to maintenance, as I am sure you understand, SETPs are not required to comply with all chapter 5 items like twin tprops and tjets. All the SETPs (Meridian, PC12, TBM, Caravan) fall into a sort of loophole in the regulations which allows - as far as the FAA is concerned - us to maintain our planes just like a single position. Pilatus (at least) hates that idea and will not let their service centers skip any Chapter 5 items. But, I know some especially cost sensitive PC12 owners that have their inspections done by a non-service center and they can save a LOT of money by deferring some of the big dollar Chapter 5 items. Not something I am comfortable doing, but it is possible.

JL