All Electric Airplane

Under the FAQ -> Powerplant section of the Cirrus web site they talk about other models of the SR-2X. Specifically they say they are focusing NEXT on an all-electric version with a 310HP engine. I’m assuming they mean to get rid of vacuum powered instruments…

I am expecting a copy of the contract for both the SR-20 and SR-22 from Cirrus. Among other things I’m trying to decide between the (Relatively) known wait for a -20, taking a chance on purchasing an earlier slot in a year or so, or getting in line for a -22. I Live in CA and would put the better climb and ceiling of the -22 to good use.

Regarding the -22, when I spoke to Cirrus last week they reported 59 deposits on the -22 BUT still have no information about that aircraft. I’m leaning towards the SR-22 at this time, will decide in the next week.

Any comments about what the heck an electric airplane might be OR the SR-22?

When I signed my contract (#674) Cirrus told me that all SR20 contract holders would be given a chance to upgrade to the SR22. At that time, the existing SR22 position holders and the upgraders would be sorted into the '22 queue by contract date. If this holds, then you can sign EITHER contract – it’s the date that counts. The '22 contract is (currently) refundable, but it gives you no rights to a '20. By signing the '20 contract you’ll get to choose, and if the '22 is delayed (or costs too much or performs too poorly), you’ll have the choice to fall back on the '20.

I am expecting a copy of the contract for both the SR-20 and SR-22 from Cirrus. Among other things I’m trying to decide between the (Relatively) known wait for a -20, taking a chance on purchasing an earlier slot in a year or so, or getting in line for a -22. I Live in CA and would put the better climb and ceiling of the -22 to good use.

Any comments about what the heck an electric airplane might be OR the SR-22?
This is the SR22 (I don’t know if that model number will stick). CD have not released final specs for it, but it appears it will be 310hp, two extra feet of wing, no vacuum pumps(Walt would dearly love that, I’m sure!!) which also means no noisy standby vacuum pump, and 180-190KTAS. I have heard talk of certification (which does not mean production) by the end of this year.

Imagine that plane with the 40 knot tailwind I picked up the other day! The GPS was showing 197 knots groundspeed at a TAS of 155.