aileron

I have a 2005 SR-20 G2 with 270 hrs. When I preflight, I check the ailerons and I get this popping noise on both sides. If I check it in the plane the noise is not there. It feels like the metal is flexing and that is what makes the popping noise. Can anyone advise what the problem can be. It has been like this since new.

Rush;
Many of our 2000+ members and owners don’t really hang out on the Non Member side of the forum. You are more likely to get a quick and accurate response by posting your question on the Member side. In fact, you will probably find that several other have had the same experience as yourself.

W&B is not really a “problem” but certainly a consideration in the 20. I almost did not buy the plane due to this issue as much of my flying will be me (220 lbs) and a friend (265 lbs). For us to be within the envelope we can’t takeoff with any more than 42 gallons in the tank.

You’ve just got to realize that there is a balance between fuel and payload with this plane as there are with many other “higher performance” planes. W&B is something you need to be quite diligent with in this plane.

I was surprised as well though that this plane was so C.G. sensitive. I wondered if we were out of C.G. limits when flying a 172SP the other day with 475 lbs of people in front and my 220 in back. I just did the calculation and we were well within limits.

In reply to:

W&B is not really a “problem” but certainly a consideration in the 20. I almost did not buy the plane due to this issue as much of my flying will be me (220 lbs) and a friend (265 lbs). For us to be within the envelope we can’t takeoff with any more than 42 gallons in the tank.
You’ve just got to realize that there is a balance between fuel and payload with this plane as there are with many other “higher performance” planes. W&B is something you need to be quite diligent with in this plane.
I was surprised as well though that this plane was so C.G. sensitive. I wondered if we were out of C.G. limits when flying a 172SP the other day with 475 lbs of people in front and my 220 in back. I just did the calculation and we were well within limits.

Maybe I missed something but with 475lbs in the front and 220lbs in the back of a 172SP, even with less than full fuel, and only 10 or 20lbs of baggage, not only were you grossly forward of the C.G. but several hundred pounds over gross weight.