ADF on SR20??

I know, I know about medieval age stuff and all that, but there are still numerous NDB approaches here in Europe and GPS overlays are far less dense than in the US. Some fields have an NDB approach only and are hence off limits for my SR20 Mod C with the super duper avionics.

Does anyone gave thought (or has actual experience) in adding an ADF to the SR20 avoinics. Is there a FAA certification issue (other than have an apporved unit built in by an approved mechanic)?

Thanks

HK

Does anyone gave thought (or has actual experience) in adding an ADF to the SR20 avoinics.

Yes, we went through this process, and had actually purchased a second-hand KR87 receiver, and were about to get it installed. However the problem was where to put the indicator (there is room in the B model radio stack for the receiver - there may not be in the C model, though).

The place that we had believed we could mount the indicator was in the bolster panel, next to the magneto switch. However a request to Cirrus as to whether the metalwork behind this panel is structural and if we could cut a hole in it got the reply that, yes it is structural, and to determine if a hole could be cut and whether any reinforcing would be required would need us to hire an engineer to do a stress analysis.

At this point we decided against doing it, and the ADF receiver has been resold (I think).

There are lots of new GPS approaches being published in Australia, although they still cannot be used to satisfy alternate requirements, but we are hopeful that this will change in the not-too-distant future.

Hope that helps!

Clyde

I know, I know about medieval age stuff and all that, but there are still numerous NDB approaches here in Europe and GPS overlays are far less dense than in the US. Some fields have an NDB approach only and are hence off limits for my SR20 Mod C with the super duper avionics.

Does anyone gave thought (or has actual experience) in adding an ADF to the SR20 avoinics. Is there a FAA certification issue (other than have an apporved unit built in by an approved mechanic)?

Thanks

Han,

For the same reason I selected the ADF, DME and 2nd Altimeter option for my SR20.
This option is on the price list so I guess that Cirrus knows where to put it.

If you havenÂ’t asked Cirrus already, I will request a panel drawing for my configuration (C with 3-blade prop)

and let you know.

Hein #527

Clyde,

Thanks a million for the insight. I am undecided for now, but will definitely look at the real estate issue as the indicator needs to be put somewhere in sight…

Cheers mate

HK

Does anyone gave thought (or has actual experience) in adding an ADF to the SR20 avoinics.

Yes, we went through this process, and had actually purchased a second-hand KR87 receiver, and were about to get it installed. However the problem was where to put the indicator (there is room in the B model radio stack for the receiver - there may not be in the C model, though).

The place that we had believed we could mount the indicator was in the bolster panel, next to the magneto switch. However a request to Cirrus as to whether the metalwork behind this panel is structural and if we could cut a hole in it got the reply that, yes it is structural, and to determine if a hole could be cut and whether any reinforcing would be required would need us to hire an engineer to do a stress analysis.

At this point we decided against doing it, and the ADF receiver has been resold (I think).

There are lots of new GPS approaches being published in Australia, although they still cannot be used to satisfy alternate requirements, but we are hopeful that this will change in the not-too-distant future.

Hope that helps!

Clyde

For the same reason I selected the ADF, DME and 2nd Altimeter option for my SR20.
This option is on the price list so I guess that Cirrus knows where to put it.

Actually, Cirrus Design tell me they have not done any of the engineering for this option yet. I guess they will have to before your number comes up :slight_smile:

If you havenÂ’t asked Cirrus already, I will request a panel drawing

I’ll be interested to see what the response is.