Add Another Very Light Jet to the Mix

I just noticed that Aviation International News (AIN) reported last week (April 1) on another contender for the very light jet market. No, this is not a lame attempt to reclaim my dignity after I got duped by Jaap’s April 2 (low blow, man[:)]) post. Here is the link to the story.

Interestingly, Bob Bornhofen, the designer of the Maverick TwinJet (which was later bought by Jim McCotter, relocated from Colorado to Florida and renamed the Maverick Leader), is at the helm of this new project. It will be interesting to see how many cards he has up his sleeve, because he is going to need every one of them to pull this off. I certainly wish Bob the best in getting his company off the ground.

In reply to:

It will be interesting to see how many cards he has up his sleeve…

Andy,
As you know, I’ve met Bob; I’d be surprised if he didn’t have a lot of cards up his sleeve.
Assuming this is a serious (non-April-Fool) article, it seems that at least one of his cards will resonate with Cirrus pilots:
“Included as standard equipment will be an emergency landing system comprised of a multi-stage parachute capable of supporting the aircraft with all seats occupied.”

Hmmm…

• Mike.

In reply to:

Assuming this is a serious (non-April-Fool) article, it seems that at least one of his cards will resonate with Cirrus pilots:

Mike,
I was thinking the same thing. The aircraft described in the article seems to be a dead-ringer for what has been floated at least indirectly by Cirrus. Take a look at this article from AIN early last year. Parachute or not, I would still prefer to have two smaller power-plants over a single bigger one, but we canÂ’t have everything.[:)] It would be really neat, but likely unrealistic for Cirrus, if we had the choice between single or multi-engine models; kind of like choosing between a Saratoga and Seneca, or a Bonanza and a Baron.
Getting back to the AIN announcement, I am glad to see Bob has found a new project to work on. It would be interesting to see where Maverick would be if he had kept it under his guidance. Maybe Bob could not attract enough money to get from Point A (Experimental) to Point B (Certified). Additionally, many inventors arenÂ’t cut out to be the salesmen that they need to be in order to bring their product to market.
The Sport-Jet announcement times nicely with Sun ‘n Fun. I wonder if Bob will be there with his new company. Either way, I am looking forward to watching it’s progress.
There did not seem to be any humor resonating from the short article about the Sport-Jet, and it was sandwiched between legitimate stories, so I think it has a good shot at being true–but then I did fall for an April 2 (IÂ’m not bitter[;)]) story that came out of “Elbonia,” Netherlands.

More than the announcement of new VLJs here and there, what really excites me is when and how Cirrus decides to step into the jet competition. Going back to the “Hangar X” ad campaign days of the mid-90s, forthcoming Cirrus airplanes have been shrouded in secrecy. I take comfort in this, because I know in my heart that the Hangar X which turned the general aviation industry on it’s ear by rolling out the SR20, is being retooled for another revolution. The great thing about this is that, once Cirrus commits publicly to building a light jet, we can be absolutely confident that they will bring it to market. The same cannot be said about many of the “paper” jets floating around the skies today.