8 hour break in, expirence wanted

I will get my sr 20 in Ocktober and need to deside on contracting Wingsaloft for the acceptance and 8 hour break in flight or do it my self.

As I have not so much expirience I guess it is better to ask WL to do it ?? Can some one tell me how the Break in flight is done ??

regards,

Klaus

(from Germany)

Klaus,

Its very simple really and nothing to subcontract out to WA. If you want them to ferry it to you, that is a different issue, but break in is nothing to be afraid of.

They recommend you run 75% plus power continuous (or at least as much as you can - recognizing you have some ground operations to deal with), high fuel flow and low to medium altitude operation. Oh, and run straight mineral oil (available at Cirrus)

The issue is to keep the pressures high in the engine to allow rapid cylinder break in. The high fuel flow is to aid cooling. Limit yourself to an altitude that you can maintain sufficient manifold pressure to give 75% power.

I was concerned on breaking in my SR22, but it was easy. I would ask Cirrus about differences on the 20, but it should be similiar. In fact by the end of my factory training, its major break in was complete and oil consuption was negligable. BTW, during the first few hours, mine burned a quart every hour or 2, so watch it closely and do not be concerned about lots of oil. Bottom line, DO NOT BABY IT.

Good luck.

Roger

N706CD

I will get my sr 20 in Ocktober and need to deside on contracting Wingsaloft for the acceptance and 8 hour break in flight or do it my self.

As I have not so much expirience I guess it is better to ask WL to do it ?? Can some one tell me how the Break in flight is done ??

regards,

Klaus

(from Germany)

Klaus,

Its very simple really and nothing to subcontract out to WA. If you want them to ferry it to you, that is a different issue, but break in is nothing to be afraid of.

They recommend you run 75% plus power continuous (or at least as much as you can - recognizing you have some ground operations to deal with), high fuel flow and low to medium altitude operation. Oh, and run straight mineral oil (available at Cirrus)

The issue is to keep the pressures high in the engine to allow rapid cylinder break in. The high fuel flow is to aid cooling. Limit yourself to an altitude that you can maintain sufficient manifold pressure to give 75% power.

I was concerned on breaking in my SR22, but it was easy. I would ask Cirrus about differences on the 20, but it should be similiar. In fact by the end of my factory training, its major break in was complete and oil consuption was negligable. BTW, during the first few hours, mine burned a quart every hour or 2, so watch it closely and do not be concerned about lots of oil. Bottom line, DO NOT BABY IT.

This is 100% correct advise from what I know and have read.