engine breakin

I will be taking delvery of a new sr22 in april and am concerned about taking the training with a engine not ran for 20-25 hours for break in. Has anyone had or heard of problems down the road cause they trained in the new sr22?

In reply to:

I will be taking delvery of a new sr22 in april and am concerned about taking the training with a engine not ran for 20-25 hours for break in. Has anyone had or heard of problems down the road cause they trained in the new sr22?

When you get your brand new cirrus, it will have about 5 hours on it, which is the factory testing. Then you will go out with a factory pilot for a thrilling ride in the right seat, not as PIC, and no hours you can log because the factory pilot is not an instructor, and he will show you that everything which you paid for is on the plane and working, and if not, they will fix it overnight. Then you will have 2 days of training with a UND instructor at Cirrus expense. Everyone is aware it is best to run the new SR 22 engine at full throttle for the first 100 hours, but there will be times in the training when you throttle back for stalls, approaches, etc. Then you get signed off, and you are free to run the plane at the recommended full throttle for the first hundred hours at best power, which burns about 20 gph plus or minus depending on altitude. Now that I have 125 hours, I am throttling back and burning about 15 gph at best economy, and losing only about 15 knots, though saving at least 5 gph.

Engines break in much quicker than 25 hours. Usually within the first fifteen minutes you will see the drop in oil and cylinder temps.

Our TCM engines are run first at the factory, then test flown before deleivery for about 5 hours.

Your training flights with full power take offs, various power changes etc will not likely do any harm. I’d avoid a long cruise home at 55% power though. Keep the cylinder pressures up to ensure that you don’t glaze the cylinder walls.

I’d suggest that a prophylactic oil change prior to delivery would be a good idea. The SC will say it is a waste of time and money. It’s only $100-$150 max and the sooner you get that initial grit from the initial run in (and other new engine debris) the better.

I’d suggest straight W100 Aeroshell or Philips XC 20W50 for break in. BOTH are warranty approved - FULLY mineral oils with no anti-wear additives to inhibit initial seating.

Just to echo the previous comments, I just picked up my plane and the engine was pretty much broken in. I think it had about four hours on it when I got it and in the nine hours of hard cross country that we did in the transition I didn’t have to add one quart of oil. On the flight back which we put on another ten hours I finally had to add one quart of mineral oil to the engine.

When you do the two days of training in Duluth it will mostly be cross country type of stuff.

breaking in a new engine: the most delightful “chore” I can imagine!

Thanks for your help. I guess I will just do it like everyone else since there doesn’t seem to be major problems. Good idea on the oil change at the factory.

By the way, will we have hockey again?