1000, a numbers game

A Cirrus employee, Mary, noticed my post entitled “Getting There” where I noted that COPA is rapidly approaching 1000 members.

She saw a coincidence and gave me the following information…

Cirrus has just given a certificate of airworthiness to it’s 1000 airplane.

Customer deliveries stack up as follows…
336 SR20’s
592 SR22’s

Yes, that’s only 928 to customers out of the 1000 certified, but the sales folk (and others?) have to fly something.[:)]

Of all the COPA members, how many own, in whole or part, a Cirrus?

Marty,
As of 2125Z today (27 August), there were 1002 members of COPA! Congratulations to all!!!

Cheers,
Roger

You can add an SR20 - I just ordered mine today!

In reply to:

Of all the COPA members, how many own, in whole or part, a Cirrus?

Sorry, don’t know. Steve might be able to dig it out of the database…

In reply to:

Sorry, don’t know. Steve might be able to dig it out of the database…

The DB shows 240 members who chose “SR20” or “SR20 Position” and 478 members who chose “SR22” or “SR22 Position” in the membership database.

For a total of 718 who specified one of those 4 choices.

336/240 = 71.4%
478/592 = 80.7%
That’s very impressive.

Dennis, I think no so much. Remember many airplanes have multiple owners. Mike

In reply to:

Dennis, I think no so much. Remember many airplanes have multiple owners. Mike

Mike & Dennis: You are both right and wrong! [:)]

The info in the database is stale. It is entered only when a member joins, renews or voluntarily updates the info. Right now it is just an educated guess, but the penetration is really amazing. I can’t believe any other type club of a mass produced airplane has anywhere near this percentage of owners involved.

It looks like Sir Mike Radomsky and crew and the K Brothers and their crew are all doing an amazing jobs.

In reply to:

It is entered only when a member joins, renews or voluntarily updates the info.

Quite right, Marty… one area where I suspect our stats are particularly skewed is in how many SR20 vs. SR22 owners there are – a sampling proved that at least some folks I could think of have upgraded from '20 to '22, but are still listed as '20 owners. Many other factors make these stats very tough to know accurately.

In reply to:

It looks like Sir Mike Radomsky and crew and the K Brothers and their crew are all doing an amazing jobs.

Marty,

Let’s not forget our first Prez! [;)] Without your famous “critical mass” post, and subsequent hard work and leadership to get COPA launched, well, the picture would look very different. Thank you!

As for the amazing achievements of Alan and Dale and the entire team at CD, all I can say is that I appreciate it all every time I fly my 'plane. Despite the occasional complaining we do, I’d hate to think about what GA would be like today if they had just shrugged off their ideas as being too far-fetched, too expensive, too difficult, etc.

Thanks, Cirrus!

• Mike.

In reply to:

As for the amazing achievements of Alan and Dale and the entire team at CD, all I can say is that I appreciate it all every time I fly my 'plane. Despite the occasional complaining we do, I’d hate to think about what GA would be like today if they had just shrugged off their ideas as being too far-fetched, too expensive, too difficult, etc

I just took a retired 25,000+ hour airline captain up for a putt in my 22, and he was just about speechless. That is, until we landed and shut down, whereupon we had a one hour conversation sitting in the airplane talking about Cirrus and the Klapmeyers and what has been accomplished. This fellow flys a Baron and is very active in local GA, but he was no defender of Beech or any of the aged old guard. The thrust of his comments was “it’s about time.”

It’s amazing to think that http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/06/fallows.htmthe origins of Cirrus Design are just a few years in the past, that the first SR20 was delivered to a customer just four years ago… and that COPA started click herejust two years ago! Kudos to all!!!

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

As for the amazing achievements of Alan and Dale and the entire team at CD, all I can say is that I appreciate it all every time I fly my 'plane.

Mike: An excellent point! Based upon these stats, there are about 900 other happy Cirrus owners out there that would be very disappointed if they were still waiting for a Columbia.

This is not intended to bash the competition because I think the Lancairs are wonderful planes, and in some ways better than our beloved Cirrus, but there are many things at least as important as designing a great, groundbreaking plane and they include attracting the capital and building the means of production. In some ways, and I think Alan might agree, the designing of the plane was the easiest part! Until you have all three in place and working together, all you have is a dream.

And just putting those pieces together isn’t the entire story. There are the ancillary services such as customer service, communication and parts that all contribute, or detract, from our owner’s satisfaction. Cirrus isn’t perfect, and I have often complained about the areas that aren’t, but if we stop and look back only 4 years, there was no need for parts, warranty service or some of the other things that we now speak about. Pretty amazing job to build it all from square one.

When I look at the Lancair Pilots Board and see the complaints about slow deliveries, poor customer communication, and the few posts doubting the company’s future, I only need to think back about 3 years and realize that I, and many others here, were in the same boat, reading every post, word for word, from the few among us lucky to have an early “number,” searching for some vicarious flying pleasure. Now the folks, me included, who have the “antique” Cirruses drool over the posts from folks like Scot Prinz, Mike Murdock and Gordon Feingold who speak about their TKS & PFD equipped marvels.

Again, this is not to disparage the Lancairs, or their customers, as I think most of us are quite empathetic to their situation, but to highlight the achievements of all of those at Cirrus Design. Thanks for the great plane and 400 great flying hours.