Wiggly Stick

Rick: Glad to hear the solution. Maybe there’s some more wiggly stick jokes out there!

This “wiggley stick” is how my roll oscillations started gradually worsening in amplitude (for details refer to Autopilot Problem). Are these oscillations (along the vertical plane) occurring in all modes (HDG, NAV, NAV-GPSS, APP-Localizer)? Why don’t they occur along the horizontal plane? These are questions to ponder. I just can’t imagine how lubricating the joints can solve an oscillatory input command from the AP.

Salil

My experience, on the SR20, is to frequently lubricate the areas that impact the free movement of the ailerons. (CD recommends a lubricant made by Sherwin Williams) I’ve found this to address the oscillation issues. Also, it makes sense relative to the long flight issue.

Andy

1 Like

These oscillations are very low amplitude, moving the aileron perhaps less than 1/2-inch, and have a frequency about 1 Hz (1 per second). There is no heading change, just a modest roll change that often cannot be noticed by passengers unless they fixate on the side-yoke.

Cheers
Rick