What new technologies could be put in the Cirrus

I was wondering what new technologies or other improvements could be put in the Cirrus that pilots would want. Such things as airbags, WAAS receivers, or anything like GPWS for the fleet.

In reply to:

I was wondering what new technologies or other improvements could be put in the Cirrus that pilots would want.

Quality control.

Seems like inflatable door seals would be nice

Remote Tire pressure indication

The dual master cylinder concept for the brakes with separate circuits for dual pistons in the calipers

Integrated service reminders in MFD

Not new tech but would be nice:

A hook to hang clothes on

Softer seat cushions

And a big dream of mine is to plan my flight at home on my computer and by USB, Bluetooth PDA, SD card, etc load all Nav data into Garmins and MFD (including approach plates)

A rear view camera, with the picture displayed in a window on the MFD.

-Mike

As a father of young children, I’d like to see the latch system for carseats.

In reply to:

Quality control

Art,

I think that’s the FIRST negative thing I’ve ever seen you post on this forum!

You’re joking, right?

Or is the bloom off the rose?

IMWTK…

Ed, I think you must be confusing Art with someone else. Art has brought a whole new depth of meaning to the term “devil’s advocate”.

Blatantly sarcastic mode

This isn’t the Art Pileggi that pressured Flying Magazine to give the Cirrus the “Editor’s Choice Award”?

I was so sure it was…

Blatantly sarcastic mode

Mike and Trip (and now Clyde) - does this make it obvious enough?

In reply to:

Mike and Trip (and now Clyde) - does this make it obvious enough?

That would depend on what you mean by obvious.

Or, how you define enough.

OK - to go back to the original question…

I’d like to see some existing, easy technology applied to our airplanes. Specifically, I’d like AUDIO warnings…

• TAWS

• O2 flow at appropriate altitudes.

• CO

• Any out-of-limit condition in oil pressure, oil temp, CHT, ALT, BATT, etc… All with pilot-settable limits (restricted so that pilot can make preset limits more, not less, conservative)

• Weight & Balance calculation - airplane “knows” it’s own Empty Weight, CG… at a minimum, ask the pilot to fill in the weights present at various stations. In a more perfect world, there’d be transducers to measure the weight on each wheel, but that’s probably just a pipe dream. (Well, all of this is, since we don’t have it).

• Density Altitude warning before takeoff- airplane “knows” all the necessary info - weight of airplane (from above), actual D.A., which airport you’re at, what the wind is doing (ADHARS can do that), even what runway you’re about to use.

… etc… etc…

• Mike.

In reply to:

• O2 flow at appropriate altitudes.

You can have the flow. I want Bitching Betty to let me know about my O2 Sat.

Before to unleash fantasy that everybody have inside thinking at science fiction things, maybe there are some things that could be planned soon and in a “easy” way thank to the avionics and equippment already on board.

I agree with all the wishes list fixed from Mike,

so, should be a good idea to have on the MFD the weight & balance sheet where to put the passengers and baggage weight and to have the right calculation before take off;

also some “vocal” alert that Mike suggest should be a good idea,

• as like as for the Density Altitude info engine setting (maybe FADEC will take care of it),
  • wind information,
  • and suggested runway to use.

Anyway, to fix “high target as standard” is an way to have early lower usefull things.

In reply to:

OK - to go back to the original question…

What WAS the original question???

I remember!

My choice would be FADEC.

In reply to:

You can have the flow. I want Bitching Betty to let me know about my O2 Sat.

Curt,
Yes, you’re right. Basically, anything I take the trouble to put into the airplane that has a readout - I want a callout on. Even more – how about “Door not latched”… or, how tough would it be to sense a person in a seat, and complain if their seatbelt isn’t buckled? Oh wait - that’s not even available for passengers in my car yet…
It’s amazing to me that we’ve made big strides in some of the complex stuff (not much in the airplane is more technically complex than navigation by reference to satellites), but yet we’re still not using the really simple (and comparatively cheap, and certainly lightweight) stuff.

• Mike.

Unfortunately, all of these new items add weight. What we really need is a plane that can carry 4 people, full fuel and all these wonderful gadgets.

A rear view camera, with the picture displayed in a window on the MFD.

Mike,

How about a tail gunner’s position instead? Then you’d never worry about people sneaking up on you from behind. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

A rear view camera, with the picture displayed in a window on the MFD

Is that so you can see the Cessna that you just overtook getting smaller and smaller?

Avionics
Fully integrated
Benefit: Lighter, cheaper, full failover, more reliable, more features, upgradeable
Example: G1000 style avionics, including PFD, GpsMap, Transponder, EngineMonitoring, Autopilot, weatherInfo, radios, etc.
TAWS/GPWS
Benefit: Large improvement in safety and utility.
It appears that 5 of the 6 Cirrus client fatal crashes were CFIT.
Per this website TAWS would prevent 95-100% of CFIT crashes.
The MFD should show terrain, and a audible warning should be issued for forward obstacles.
Audio Warnings
Benefit: Improvement in safety
Visual (message) and audio warnings of low fuel, oil pressure/temp, fuel pressure, etc.
Stick Shaker/pusher
Benefit: Improvement in safety
An integrated autopilot should allow the servos to shake/push the stick when a stall is approached.
Infrared Cameras (forward looking)
Benefit: Safety, utility, avoid CFIT, simplify IFR/approaches
These very cheap, small and lightweight devices can see at night, and through some fog/mist. Uses $200 video camera technology, the picture (forward looking) can be shown on a MFD.

With Integrated avionics the above features can be added at very little cost or weight (mostly through software).

Engine/Prop
FADEC
Benefit: Improved range/efficiency, reduced pollution, longer engine life, more reliability, reduced maintenance
Diesel
Benefit: Improved range, reduced risk of fire, cheaper fuel.
Example The http://www.centurion-engines.com/c40/c40_start.htm>Thielert @350HP. [Paper
Auto/Variable Prop control
Benefit: Reduced noise, improved range/efficiency, reduced vibration
For any given Airspeed, RPM, and power requested, there is a single most efficient prop pitch; the existing (crude) single-step mechanical linkage could be replaced by a computer driven continuously variable method.

Airframe
Improved composites
Lighter, cheaper
AirBags
These are small, light, cheap, proven in automobiles. see ](http://info.thielert.com/centurion/main/whitepapers.php?action=showarchive&wpid=20) here

Wow, what an excellent list. This guy should be hired by Cirrus. This is simply the best thinking concerning accident prevention I have seen.

Paul
No plane yet, waiting in line now for a SR 22

In reply to:

These very cheap, small and lightweight devices can see through clouds. Uses $200 video camera technology, the picture (forward looking) can be shown on a MFD.

Warren:

I’ve never heard of an inexpensive camera that could see through clouds. Can you provide any reference (website, etc.) on this technology?

Thanks,

Tim