Training courses on DVD: King or Sporty's?

I’ve got an IBM ThinkPad on order with built in DVD. I am looking at either King or Sporty’s pilot training courses. I have been out of the cockpit for a number of years and I want to review both the private and instrument material before training with Wings Aloft this December. Cirrus is promising delivery of my SR22 in February 2002. I’m bringing a CFII to Duluth to make the trip out to California with me.

Before that, I plan to do some more study. I completed the Instrument Ground a while ago with the Jeppesen cirriculum. I have about 275 hrs. SEL, instrument. I still need my BFR and ICC.

Does anyone have any experience with either the King DVD courses or the new Sporty’s DVD courses? It seems to be that one of these would be helpful at this stage.

Stephen,

I can’t speak for the Sporty’s course, but I know the King Instrument CD ROM course well, and I like it. The humor is a little cornball, and at times Martha’s voice drives me nuts; but overall, the explanations are clear, concise and understandable, and I found the learning aids and examples they give to be really useful.

The tools provided are good, too. It’s easy to quickly locate a topic for review, re-do questions on just that one topic, take random sample tests, track your results, etc.

• Mike.

I’ve got an IBM ThinkPad on order with built in DVD. I am looking at either King or Sporty’s pilot training courses. I have been out of the cockpit for a number of years and I want to review both the private and instrument material before training with Wings Aloft this December. Cirrus is promising delivery of my SR22 in February 2002. I’m bringing a CFII to Duluth to make the trip out to California with me.

Before that, I plan to do some more study. I completed the Instrument Ground a while ago with the Jeppesen cirriculum. I have about 275 hrs. SEL, instrument. I still need my BFR and ICC.

Does anyone have any experience with either the King DVD courses or the new Sporty’s DVD courses? It seems to be that one of these would be helpful at this stage.

FWIW, Stephen is not alone in his desire to sharpen up his skills after a hiatus from flying. Any and all experience folks have had with the King and/or Sporty’s training aids would be most welcome information.

Pete

Can’t speak for the DVD course but I would strongly recommend the King CD-ROM course for both the private and instrument written course material. Given in small segments with good follow-up questions, I have had good luck with the King training products.

DVD might give you better video quality, although it is probably more like a VHS course which is not designed to be interactive.

And as my accountant said when he stumbled into my office over a lunch I was using for study time, “the least they could do to make this stuff more exciting is get someone good looking to read the material.” The Kings are great teachers but better video quality won’t inhance the experience.

I purchased both Sporty’s and Kings’ videotapes for my private pilot written preparation about a year ago, and I have again bought both sets of tapes for my instrument preparation, which I am doing now. My reaction is the same both times: The Kings are much better teachers. Their tapes are better organized, and easier to follow. There are times when the Sporty’s tapes just seem to run through the information, for the sake of checking it off in the syllabus, but it is hard to follow.
The disadvantage of the King tapes is the vice of their virtue: they are too focused on the written examination. The Sporty’s tapes include more general information, whereas the the King tapes seem oriented towards what’s on the examination. However, the Kings do a much better job of teaching, and the examination topics are fairly comprehensive, so getting through the exam prep will be close to a comprehensive preparation.>I’ve got an IBM ThinkPad on order with built in DVD. I am looking at either King or Sporty’s pilot training courses. I have been out of the cockpit for a number of years and I want to review both the private and instrument material before training with Wings Aloft this December. Cirrus is promising delivery of my SR22 in February 2002. I’m bringing a CFII to Duluth to make the trip out to California with me.

After several decades absence from the skies I used the King Vidoes both to requalify for my private pilots license and 8 months later began studying for my IFR written using the King video.

I easily passed the IFR written after completion the King video course and studying the course material. The material also contained everything I need for the oral section of my IFR check ride.

I have read several articles which compared the Jeppsen and King courses and each preferred the King course.

I was not as happy with my nationally advertised IFR flight training. I found the ancient simulator to have numersous faults which interrupted practice procedures.

In addition I was extremely unhappy with the 20,000 hour plus pliot who was sent as my instructor. While he had a lot of tales to tell I found him quite lacking as a teacher.

Bob

This is just an observation, but it seems there’s quite a few of us here that are back into flying after a hiatus. For me it was 11 years. Been refreshing with a local CFII, first basic piloting and now instrument review. I know for myself it was finding the SR20 that got me back. Is this true for others? And how many others have been out of it for years? I’ve heard 10-20 years in some posts.

I may take a second look at these training aids. For myself it’s been reading the books from ASA. I like the idea of these videos.

After several decades absence from the skies I used the King Vidoes both to requalify for my private pilots license and 8 months later began studying for my IFR written using the King video.

I easily passed the IFR written after completion the King video course and studying the course material. The material also contained everything I need for the oral section of my IFR check ride.

I have read several articles which compared the Jeppsen and King courses and each preferred the King course.

I was not as happy with my nationally advertised IFR flight training. I found the ancient simulator to have numersous faults which interrupted practice procedures.

In addition I was extremely unhappy with the 20,000 hour plus pliot who was sent as my instructor. While he had a lot of tales to tell I found him quite lacking as a teacher.

Bob

I have used the Sporty’s product (both Private and Instrument), and it was fine for additional content and perspective to the textbook. I found that referencing a good text (I used the latest Jepp), was much better than using a steady stream as part of a dvd or tape.

I just finished with my instrument ticket with the nationally advertised instrument training group, and was EXTREMELY SATISFIED. My 20,000 hour guy was smart, and efficient at ensuring that my knowledge was deep and wide. He also had some amazing real life stories to illustrate the intense curriculum. The oral and check ride were a breeze at the end of the 10 days.

cheers, jb

Bob

That’s my story. Been out of flying 2 years. It took Cirrus to bring me back.

This is just an observation, but it seems there’s quite a few of us here that are back into flying after a hiatus. For me it was 11 years. Been refreshing with a local CFII, first basic piloting and now instrument review. I know for myself it was finding the SR20 that got me back. Is this true for others? And how many others have been out of it for years? I’ve heard 10-20 years in some posts.

I may take a second look at these training aids. For myself it’s been reading the books from ASA. I like the idea of these videos.

Bob

I also got back into flying after a long hiatus. I was out of it for 18 years when my wife got me back into it as a fortieth birthday present. She said she knew it was something I wanted to do and bought me the flight time to get my BFR. That was two years ago and I flew out of an FBO that has brand new Cessna’s on the line. There is nothing like modern avionics and a new airplane to get you going. I would of course preferred to be in an SR-2X.

I bought the King Instrument Rating Interactive CD-ROM Knowledge Test Course and I give it a big thumbs up! I bought it after getting my BFR out of the way and started work on the instrument rating. Due to lots of other things: 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son; it took me quite awhile to work through the King course. I especially like being able to work in blocks as small as 10 minutes. I passed the written on the first try, just two days before my checkride. The King’s are a bit corny but the info you need is all there.

Dan Pierstorff

SR-2X wannabe

Bob

likewise. stopped flying after geating my private 6 years ago - tired of the equipment. the cirrus rekindled my interest, and am now flying a late model cessna while i wait.

That’s my story. Been out of flying 2 years. It took Cirrus to bring me back.

Bob