traffic alert

I have an SR22 with Skywatch. Can I turn down or turn off the loud voice calling out “traffic” ,either completely or just on final or departure?

Gary,

I think I have heard about a volume adjustment that your Avionics technician can do (although that might just be for the autopilot disconnect warning), but I don’t think you can turn it off. It seems to me when this was discussed before that it doesn’t have an off or mute switch because of potential liability to the manufacturer Goodrich/L3 if someone equipped with SkyWatch smacks another airplane. If you search the member archives, you should be able to find more information on this.

HereHere is another link.

If you’ve got a headset with it’s own volume levels, can you turn DOWN your headset, and turn UP your com and intercom levels - will the “TRAFFIC-TRAFFIC” alert be lowered in volume by the headset master volume while the com and intercom volumes can be raised back to a normal level?

I’ll try this on a flight tommorow and see!

-Dane

In reply to:

If you’ve got a headset with it’s own volume levels, can you turn DOWN your headset, and turn UP your com and intercom levels - will the “TRAFFIC-TRAFFIC” alert be lowered in volume by the headset master volume while the com and intercom volumes can be raised back to a normal level?

I’ll try this on a flight tommorow and see!

Dane,

I can’t remember.[:$] I always keep my headset on the lowest volume anyway because I think it keeps the autopilot disconnect alarm quieter. I will have to try this tomorrow, as well.

In reply to:

Dane,

I tried this yesterday, and the answer is yes–which, of course, makes sense the more I think about it.[:)]

Yes, I found the same thing.

Touble is, with the headset volume low (so that the AP disconnect and TRAFFIC-TRAFFIC is quieter), now I can’t hear the music from my Archos MP3 player. Doh!

-Dane

In reply to:

Touble is, with the headset volume low (so that the AP disconnect and TRAFFIC-TRAFFIC is quieter), now I can’t hear the music from my Archos MP3 player. Doh!

Bummer! Is there maybe a way to boost that signal?

Yes, I’ve seen someone posted here with some info on an impedence matching gadget that would allow the Garmin’s audio input to be better matched to most consumer devices. I’ll have to look into that.

-Dane

[quote]
Yes, I’ve seen someone posted here with some info on an impedence matching gadget that would allow the Garmin’s audio input to be better matched to most consumer devices. I’ll have to look into that.

[quote]
That sounds like a good idea because you don’t want to lose the ability to play Top Gun’s “Danger Zone” on takeoff. [;)]