Totally off topic but . . .

In light of the passion for their pooches that many of our readers possess, I thought that this totally non-aviation subject was justified.
Puppy shoots Pensacola man who was killing litter
Associated Press
September 9, 2004, 7:54 AM EDT

PENSACOLA – A man who was trying to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs made the .38-caliber revolver discharge, deputies said.

Jerry Allen Bradford, 37, of Pensacola, was charged with felony animal cruelty, the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday.

Bradford was being treated at an undisclosed hospital for the gunshot wound to his wrist, said sheriff’s Sgt. Ted Roy.

Bradford said he decided to shoot the 3-month-old puppies in the head because he couldn’t find another home for the shepherd-mix dogs, according to the sheriff’s office.

On Monday, he was holding two puppies, one in his arms and another in his left hand, when the dog in his hand wiggled and put its paw on the trigger, making the gun discharge, the sheriff’s report said.

The revolver and a rifle were seized from the home, deputies said.

Deputies found three of the puppies in a shallow grave outside Bradford’s home, Roy said. The other four appeared to be in good health and were taken by Escambia County Animal Control, which planned to make them available for adoption.

That should never have to happen,'' said Bruce Rova, director of the Escambia County Animal Shelter. There are so many options people have. We’ll try to find them a new home.’’

Personally, I would tie this guys limbs to 4-SR22’s and apply take off power.

In reply to:

Personally, I would tie this guys limbs to 4-SR22’s and apply take off power.

Maybe a little harsh.

Maybe you could just sue him and make him wish he was dead!

Seriously, a Google search just came up with a total of 10,000,000 dogs killed a year in pounds. That’s about 27,000 a day.

I’d love to save them all (I’ve saved 2 so far - Lady and Benji) but I’m not sure getting shot is a whole lot worse that the various ways dogs get euthanized in the U.S.

Bill,

I hate to even respond at this time, as I just learned about a tragic loss of a member of our Cirrus family. However, I feel that your post needs to be responded to.

I’m board chairman of the Humane Society of Missouri (I do this in connection with my job in the animal nutrition business). So, I have some degree of expertise on the subject.

First, assuming the information about your local shelter is correct, it is highly unusual. Our practice is that we don’t charge for any incoming pets, although we do request a donation. It’s hard to imagine that your shelter would turn away pets because people couldn’t or wouldn’t pay a fee.

At our shelter, which I think is fairly typical, a high percentage of animals that are taken in (other than those with behavior or health problems) are successfully adopted. The percentage of puppies is extremely high. So, by bringing the puppies into the shelter gets you the likely outcome that the puppies are saved, and families that adpot them have the associated benefits. Personally, I don’t agree with your assessment that it’s a hard decision, compared to the situation Dennis described in his original post.

By the way, the 10 million euthanized animals that was referenced is an old number; the current projects are less than half that. Certainly a very high number nonetheless. The biggest factor in that number coming down, and continuing to do so, is broadening neutering programs to address the pet overpopulation. That’s the reason many shelters, apparently including yours, charge low fees for this.

I hope this sheds some factual light on your comments.

Andy

In reply to:

the 10 million euthanized animals that was referenced is an old number…

But it must be true - I read it on the internet!

Seriously, thanks for a job well done. Let’s keep that number shrinking (zero would be a nice goal!)