TONIGHT ON DATELINE -- THE SR20

From the AOPA website. NBC Dateline tonight at 8pm / 7 cst.

From the AOPA website. NBC Dateline tonight at 8pm / 7 cst.

Just saw it…great stuff…lot of great footage…Great stuff Walt…

I am out of the country and can’t see the show. Presumably even some of you back there in The Big One (as Michael Moore suggested the U.S. be renamed) missed the show. Would someone who saw it mind providing a brief recap?

Thanks a lot, Jim F

I am out of the country and can’t see the show. Presumably even some of you back there in The Big One (as Michael Moore suggested the U.S. be renamed) missed the show. Would someone who saw it mind providing a brief recap?

Thanks a lot, Jim F

recap…

15 minutes
short interviews with Alan Klapmeir,Walt, and others…Pictures from inside the production facilities…of processes,parts etc…

several pictures of finished planes flying,pictures of parachute deployments,

discussions about the state of GA…

discussions about weight of chute versus the payoff of safety…then the obvious conclusion by Walt that the chute is an easy decision…

real good pictures up close of composites and

stages of making the plane…

great piece…

Thanks a lot, Jim F

recap…

15 minutes
short interviews with Alan Klapmeir,Walt, and others…Pictures from inside the production facilities…of processes,parts etc…

discussions about weight of chute versus the payoff of safety…then the obvious conclusion by Walt that the chute is an easy decision…

great piece…

also goes into

“could this be the future of flying”

etc…talk about how the parachute works…

says that parachute should be “last resort”…

the rest of the industry isn’t biting …yet…

but says more than 600 orders etc…

good show.

Thanks for the recap. Who was the correspondent? Seem to be a flyer himself/herself?

(The reflex of adding herself makes me wonder: Are there any female contract holders? I think I remember one from Europe.)

Thanks a lot, Jim F

recap…

15 minutes

great piece…

also goes into

“could this be the future of flying”

etc…talk about how the parachute works…

says that parachute should be “last resort”…

the rest of the industry isn’t biting …yet…

but says more than 600 orders etc…

good show.

I enjoyed the piece. One deficiency: The reporter specifically called out the “$20,000” added cost of the parachute and mentioned that the SR20 cost “$200,000.” It was never pointed out that, even with this additional cost, the SR20 is priced at least 1/3 lower than any non-parachute equipped production airplane of comparable performance.

I appreciated the shots of Walt and his wife enjoying their fine airplane. But the sight of a hangar…now THAT brought tears to my eyes (full disclosure: I fly out of Palo Alto airport where a hangar will never be in my future).

In summary: Walt and the CD people did a great job. Kudos to NBC for producing & airing the piece.