stormscopes

I recently flew Co-pilot cross country with a friend and his new T-206. He had a stormscope and a Garmin 430 added after delivery. I got the nod to go because I became a Garmin GNS 430 expert by virture of the downloads my buds here on the forum turned me on to. The Garmin worked wonderful, including taking us to the ILS at Tulsa by vectors. Very cool… the point, however. From Colorado to Tulsa was one T-storm after another. We had the stormscope on, and could easily tell the bad ones from the really bad ones. I was impressed. When I got back to California I pulled my contract #158 out and checked out the price of stormscopes. My question to my forum members: Is the option actually available yet from CD, and/or is it easily obtained after-market to project onto the Arnav for an amount less than that of the factory installation? aa

When I got back to California I pulled my contract #158 out and checked out the price of stormscopes. My question to my forum members: Is the option actually available yet from CD, and/or is it easily obtained after-market to project onto the Arnav for an amount less than that of the factory installation? aa

The WX-500 stormscope is available with the Arnav, factory installed by Cirrus.

Timm Preusser #132

I recently flew Co-pilot cross country with a friend and his new T-206. He had a stormscope and a Garmin 430 added after delivery. I got the nod to go because I became a Garmin GNS 430 expert by virture of the downloads my buds here on the forum turned me on to. The Garmin worked wonderful, including taking us to the ILS at Tulsa by vectors. Very cool… the point, however. From Colorado to Tulsa was one T-storm after another. We had the stormscope on, and could easily tell the bad ones from the really bad ones. I was impressed. When I got back to California I pulled my contract #158 out and checked out the price of stormscopes. My question to my forum members: Is the option actually available yet from CD, and/or is it easily obtained after-market to project onto the Arnav for an amount less than that of the factory installation? aa

#37 has the stormscope installed by Cirrus. It is wonderful and especially dislayed on the RNAV screen.The comparison between the list price and the price of Cirrus can be very misleading. In any event I did not even consider dividing the responsibility for performance and proper interface with the RNAV

After spending 15 minutes in a 172 in a REAL hold and in a developing (embedded) cumulus cloud two weeks ago I decided the stormscope was cheap cheap cheap.

It is on order for #163

Rick

Calgary

Is the option actually available yet from CD,

Yes, it is. It was supposed to have been fitted to #1033, but did not get done. We have since received the parts from Cirrus and it will be fitted here in Australia next month.

and/or is it easily obtained after-market to project onto the Arnav for an amount less than that of the factory installation?

Firstly, you can only fit it to a ‘B’ or ‘C’ model since the WX-500 stormscope needs a heading input which comes from the fluxgate compass. Secondly, the standard slave amplifier for the fluxgate fitted to the SR20 does not have the necessary RMI output. To add it aftermarket you will end up saving maybe $1000 over the factory fit, because you have to remove the slave amplifier and fit the right one.

Thirdly, Cirrus will not provide the installation instructions if you were to get it fitted after-market (unless you buy the kit from Cirrus) so while any avionics tech will be able to do it, he won’t have the benefit of the Cirrus expertise in exactly where to place things.

So, although I still think $9500 is overpriced (remember Cirrus do not have to throw away a slave amplifier in the process), the alternative does not save enough money to outweigh the drawbacks. Get it factory fitted and be happy.

N144CD (prod# 0034) was the first customer delivery. Works fine (didn’t have bad ones in sight though) also spots a working hairdryer at about 100 ft away on the ground…

Han K (N144CD)

price for installed stormscope $9500.00. price of missing thunder storm $priceless. And Cirrus takes visa or master card