SR22 vs. 172

Did anyone else notice that there were 258 Cessna Skyhawk SPs (172S) delivered in 2002 and 292 Cirrus SR22s? I think that makes the SR22 the #1 selling SE prop aircraft and I’d bet that makes the first time since the 1960s that 172 was not the #1 production airplane. (At least while it was in production.)

(If you add the Skyhawks (172) and Skyhawk SPs 172S together, they sold a total of 315, but since GAMA reported them differently, who am I to disagree?)

I also think that the 292 SR22’s delivered make it the #1 GA aircraft of any type and probably the #1 non-military aircraft!!

Great work Cirrus. You guys must be doing something right!

Marty

In Reply To:
Great work Cirrus. You guys must be doing something right!

Yeah, they’re successfully avoiding mentioning that the door handles fall off and that it takes a modern-day Houdini to check/inflate the tires, among other notable things…ROFLOL [:D]

The success is great but I didn’t expect Cessna’s singles to have such a strong year. The 172/182 numbers combined are puzzling in light of residual value trends. SR series airplanes haven’t budged in the blue books, but a '99 172S is worth 30% less today. Spending an extra 20K (172 v SR20) from an investment standpoint seems like a no brainer.

I’m curious what percentage of Cessna sales are to flight schools at volume discounts and if Cirrus intends to aggressively market the SR20 as a trainer.

I wonder, when I called cirrus about a week ago, they said I can get an aircraft by May 6 2003.
Looks like sales are slowing down considerably, unless there is something else going on.

Moses Grad

Well, I’m sure there are thousands of 172 owners out there that would make the sacrifice and trade for your Cirrus.

Well, I’m sure there are thousands of 172 owners out there that would make the sacrifice and trade for your Cirrus.

Tell them to call Art Pileggi.[:)]

http://pirate.shu.edu/~chanskth/wavs/yoarcorc.wavOh my.

and if Cirrus intends to aggressively market the SR20 as a trainer.

When you consider the Cirrus accident rate, the unwillingness of insurance companies to insure pilots without an IFR rating, and the consensus on this board that the high accident rate is due to pilots without the training or judgment required to fly a Cirrus, I don’t see how they could ever be sold as trainers.

In reply to:

When you consider the Cirrus accident rate, the unwillingness of insurance companies to insure pilots without an IFR rating, and the consensus on this board that the high accident rate is due to pilots without the training or judgment required to fly a Cirrus, I don’t see how they could ever be sold as trainers.

I was going to reply to the above - then I remembered… Don’t feed a troll.[:)]

Yeah, it just makes them more surly! [:)]

Something is going on. Production has ramped up so as to close the supply/demand gap. Its called “efficiency”