SR20 Door Hinge Failures

I wonder if the frequent Cirrus owner practice of taxiing downwind before runup with doors fully open (for cooling) could be putting too much strain on the hinges??

FWIW my practice is to open the door in taxiing say halfway, but keep it with my left hand on the door handle to prevent it going to or sitting at the stops. If it is fully open, a gust may strain the hinges. Not fully opening it keeps temps down in French summer temperatures, may be different in Ca.

OTOH (blink): using the doors as speedbreaks on too fast finals works great, but it doesn’t work when solo and takes some crew resource management with the copilot. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Han

I wonder if the frequent Cirrus owner practice of taxiing downwind before runup with doors fully open (for cooling) could be putting too much strain on the hinges??

Got an answer: My hypothesis is not correct. The cause was something else entirely and has already been corrected since #1034 and retrofitte to earlier serial numbers. Thank goodness since it is a much cooler way to taxi before take off.

Scott k.

So, what was the fix?

Got an answer: My hypothesis is not correct. The cause was something else entirely and has already been corrected since #1034 and retrofitte to earlier serial numbers. Thank goodness since it is a much cooler way to taxi before take off.

Scott k.