SR Option Survey

I am in the final stages before I place an order ( I hope) for a SR22
and am pondering the options available
Most of the options are listed below, it would be interesting to me and possible others, what people think , ie. rated 1=low
and 10 = must have…pls respond with your opinions

TKS Ice protection
Platinum Engine
Skywatch Traffic Info
Stormscope
Terrain Avoidance
XM Weather
CMAX Plates
XM weather & Storm scope

there are 8 items on the list
to make it easy you can respond something like 6,7,6,8,9,10,4.2

Congratulations!

Whatever you can afford you will not regret.

Air Conditioning carries a significant year round weight penalty so unless you spend a lot of time in hot/humid areas you might want to think about that twice.

Otherwise, in my opinions (for my needs in Toronto) :

TKS - 10 One of the primary reasons we went for the SR22 rather than a late model Turbo 310R which would have been our next airplane. Lake effect cumulus and ice in the Great Lakes area can be a real issue. We could have real high pressure glorious sunshine but with NW winds creating bands of WET lake effect clouds maybe only a few thousand feet thick. Sometimes they are icy, sometimes not. At least if we dip a wingtip into a cloud while descending we have some help with the TKS. DO NOT however think of it as anything that will get you there or depend on it. It is no more than an extra option.

Platinum Engine- 5 If you have the money, fine. Otherwise it is still a factory built semi-assembly line engine. Same parts just better matching of parts weights.

Skywatch 10 - We debated on this before and after we ordered. We paid a little extra for Cirrus to install it after the plane was already built. It was likely the biggest single everyday safety of flight equipment value. Flying in a non-Skywatch plane feels weird now!

Stormscope - 8 - Good value for information that could save your skin from flying into a thunderstorm that you didn’t know was in front of you. Less value and greater risk than no stormscope (IMHO) if you think it will help you circumnavigate thunderstorms and get where you’re going.

Terrain Avoidance - 9 if you live in Colorado. Things can get pretty busy and your mind can become pre-occupied flying IFR and next thing you know… Bitchin’ Betty will save somebody’s life.

XM Weather - Don’t ask me about that!

CMAX - 4- As it stands they seem to be just expensive pretty pictures. You still need to fly according to current paper plates and the existing MFD display paints a pretty good picture for situational awareness already.

Very important other things to get are a Reiff Pre-Heat system with engine cover, cowl plugs, BAAM (seriously good stuff IMO) and a wax job with Rejex (despite what the factory may misinform you regarding “fresh” paint.)

Robert

make sure you have the TKS. in addition to working well it is a must for alot of buyers and will keep value on resale

Don’t forget engine monitoring! Without doubt a “10”

In reply to:

I am in the final stages before I place an order ( I hope) for a SR22
and am pondering the options available
Most of the options are listed below, it would be interesting to me and possible others, what people think , ie. rated 1=low
and 10 = must have…pls respond with your opinions
TKS Ice protection
Platinum Engine
Skywatch Traffic Info
Stormscope
Terrain Avoidance
XM Weather
CMAX Plates
XM weather & Storm scope
there are 8 items on the list
to make it easy you can respond something like 6,7,6,8,9,10,4.2

I just placed my order. Here are my options and why

1-TKS - safety & resale value

2-Plat Engine - Extends warranty & I believe in "Blueprint high performance engines

3-XM weather - also shows lightning strikes plus I already have it on my Sony U70 palmtop computer with a program that gives me terrain avoidance

4- EMAX - engine monitoring - also able to download data for analisis and trends

These were what I chose - all inportant to me

Ed Regensburg
picking up 2005 SR22 Feb 1

I would think about contacting my sales rep and seeing about getting a Demo, they usually are fully loaded and fully debugged, yes the plane will have about 200 hrs on it when you get it but you will be compensated by the factory with a per hour discount in price… you will also be able to back into the tailwinds program if you want at a reduced price since you will already be getting much of what that package entails… Most if not all demos have all the bells and whistles that were available to the buyer on the date of manufacture… My 22G was a demo and we feel we got a great deal on a fully debugged aircraft and could not be more pleased

I’m a California pilot and fly for pleasure and charity (not business). If I were buying, I would get

extra 430/55X (for resale value but they’re nice to have too)
Emax
XM weather

GTX330 aftermarket

All told, still well under $400K I believe.

I would get TKS if icing were a factor in more than a small % of my flights or if I flew on business and schedules were more of a concern.

YMMV

One thing I would do if I was buying new would to get the additional year of coverage Keith

In reply to:

1-TKS - safety & resale value

Safety - no doubt. Resale - maybe not (cross-posted from the Members forum on a similar thread)

I had originally planned to spec out an SR22 with only Emax and Stormscope. My salesman made your point - that a fully-loaded plane would do “better” on resale.

I don’t agree. There’s likely a used buyer out there who wants the least expensive SR22 of a certain vintage he can get his hands on - in that case a basic plane with a lower price might actually be an easier sell.

Though the “fully-equipped” models will clearly command a premium on resale, it’s unlikely that it will reflect the full cost of the options.

IOW, I think it’s wise to only buy the options you need. If you don’t need TKS or traffic, for instance, put/keep that $40k in the bank - don’t “invest” it in wasting assets you don’t need to possible help in resale somewhere down the road.