SR-22 Useful load

Wow Jeff,

That’s 100 lbs more useful load than our soon to be delivered 2015 22T.

That is impressive.

And I hope you are well…

t

I am thinking with my new 4 Blade MT prop on my G1, I will be at 1133 useful load.

I just checked my weight and Balance after I upgraded my radio’s and autopilot:

2004 SR22 G2 NA

Gross Weight 3400

BEW 2346.32 (includes oil, unusable fuel and 4.2 pounds of TKS)

Useful Load 1053.68

Full Fuel (486.00)

TKS (22.48)

UL with full Fuel and TKS = 545.2

At the risk of being snarky (OK, no risk, actually being snarky!), there is a PC-12/47 on our field with a useful load of 4,002 lbs. You could put an entire G5 Cirrus (disassembled) loaded to gross weight in the cabin* and fly it more than 200 NM.

JL

• OK, OK, OK…technically you could not since it has a zero fuel weight of 9,039 lbs, so the maximum weight in the cabin is just 2,639 lbs.

Part of the apples-to-apples comparison between G1/G2 and the later planes is the difference in fuel they carry when full.

Andy

I can carry about 550# with full tanks (81 gallons) in my 2003 SR22 with TKS. If I fill to tabs (46 gallons), I can fly for 2-3 hours and carry 4 men, but not much luggage. Or, I can carry two men, two women and a reasonable amount of luggage. Obviously this assumes the people are not obese, which still may be true on average for the population flying around in private planes.

I have had very few instances where weight/fuel was an issue. Once time I could have flown non-stop Raleigh to Key Largo, but with wives we had to stop. But would we have flown over four hours anyway? Maybe it is a problem for golfers needing to fly four men with clubs, or maybe for people who live in Iceland and never fly less than 4 hours. But mid-Atlantic area in the U.S., it just isn’t a big problem.

Well, your snarky comment isn’t impossible. The empty (no fuel) weight of the G5’s I have seen is around 2500, + or -. So you could get the plane in there and a 139 pound pilot. I assume the 9039 allows for some fuel to actually fly it once you get all that in there, does it?

Describe the math of how you would have completed this trip non-stop with 2 men and 2 women or did I read the post wrong?

Oh yea…almost 1500 lbs of fuel in a PC-12/47 (mine is a /45) above the ZFW. That would take you at least 700 NM.

JL

First, the no-wind time is around 4 hours, and my plane could stay aloft around 6 hours with 81 gallons. To be only slightly stupid, say I wanted to land with an hour of fuel. I would be uneasy at one hour, but I’ve done that once (Minneapolis to Morehead City, NC).

To carry four adults, I need to leave some gas behind. But if they are “small,” then only a little. Here were the weights of this lithe crowd: 180+160+120+130=590#. Full fuel, my recollection is that I can carry 550# (I think actually about 560, but approx.).

Leaving off 11 gallons of gas, the payload would be 616 (or 626?). We were going out on a boat, so packing was light, and my/my wife’s stuff was mostly there already. This left 26 or 36 pounds for their stuff. At a liberal 14/hour, I could fly for 5 hours before running out of gas. I have only landed once with as little as 14 gallons in the tanks, so I would not have been happy with this, and I probably would have stopped anyway unless the winds were good or I flew high and slow. But it was conceivable. We also had reason to stop slightly north of Key Largo first, so maybe it was a little under 4 hours flying time. Anyway, that is the general math, re-created from memory.

Joe, while you posted this query in the Guest forum on the COPA website, you’ve gotten a taste of the knowledge, quick wit and camaradarie of the COPA community. Much more on the member side for those who join.

Glad folks were generous with their comments, suggestions and digressions!

Cheers
Rick