I would also like to hear from

anyone that has purchased the “B”

configuration. Are you happy or sad with

the choice? Any problems with vacuum

systems or CG?

configuration.

The B configuration works well, IMHO. It’s midway in cost between the A and C models, and has the following advantages:

Compared to A: two identical GPS receivers makes life easier, and provides IFR redundancy; availability of second alternator adds peace of mind; the HSI is good (though a Sandel would be better!) The altitude hold is a must.

Compared to C: cheaper, really only lacks 2nd VOR (only really important if you need redundant ILS capability) - the 2nd GPS does everything a VOR receiver could do except for glideslope. The more sophisticated auto-pilot is, IMHO, not worth the extra money.

Anyway, those are my rationalizations and I’m sticking to them!

Incidentally, I think Cirrus Design made a psychological error in designating the SR22 configs as A and B - they should have called them B and C to correlate with the equivalent SR20 configs.

I am considering incorporating in

Deleware for the purpose of purchasing

this aircraft. Primarily for liability

and taxes. I have brought this up before

but hope that someone may now have
experience in this area. Has anyone
done this and what are the benefits

and/or problems that have come up?

systems or CG?

Your best sorce of information will be an attorney familiar with aviation. If you are an AOPA member or not you can look for papers on the subjects on the public section of their website. Members can also look on the members section or call and ask directly. If you are an AOPA menber and have or add the legal services can ask member services or one of the available attys.

That said, I am not an attorney but have looked into this myself, I believe that you will find that as a pilot you are individually responsible for your actions irrespective of where the plane is registered. Here in California you will still pay use and property taxes in less you have a stealth aircraft that never lands ties down etc. at a public airport.

If you find differently I would certainally like to hear what you found.

and taxes.

Oddly enough, I just had this discussion with my tax guy. I don’t relish the idea of paying 6 1/2% NJ “use tax”. He’s had experience with this sort of thing, and here’s what he said in a nutshell:

“Do it at your own risk. NJ has in the past done some fairly digging to find out if residents who buy high-ticket items (boats, too) really keep them out-of-state. I recently had a guy who bought a 'plane and based it in Delaware come under scrutiny, but he was OK because it really was there most of the time according to the logs. They were only interested in the first 6 months, and they didn’t care that he had a legitimate Delaware based business - later, he moved it back to NJ, but they won’t dig again. If they think you’re being devious, they’ll come after you with gusto.”

Of course, other states may be different, and that’s just one guy’s advice. I suggest you seek a similar opinion from an accountant, CPA, tax advisor, etc., whom you trust.

One thing I did find out is that it’s based largely on where the N Number is registered; which is why I was investigating. I applied for my hoped-for N84MR yesterday, using my(legitimate) NJ address.

Mike.

I was advised not to. It is more of a hassle than what it’s worth. As far as the ‘B’ config goes I will let you know. I’m flying out to Duluth on Sunday to pick up 171CD. Will be flying back Wednesday. Should arrive N07 (Lincoln Park) sometime in the afternoon.

systems or CG?

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/1996/Tax0396.txt

systems or CG?

Should have called it the SR30, also . . . of course, now that we learn the engine is 310hp, it would have to be called the SR31.

Seriously, is the rumor still alive that the Cirrus plane to follow the SR22 is a retractable, 195-knot version called the SR24?

Incidentally, I think Cirrus Design made a psychological error in designating the SR22 configs as A and B - they should have called them B and C to correlate with the equivalent SR20 configs.

Seriously, is the rumor still alive that the Cirrus plane to follow the SR22 is a retractable, 195-knot version called the SR24?

Since I love rumors as well as the next fellow, my opinion would be that such a plane would not be sufficiently differentiated from the current SR22 to justify development, unless it were at least turbocharged and maybe pressurized, or a six-place turbocharged or turbine single. A next step-up model would need to be a bigger difference than just retractable gear and an extra 10-15 kt, I think.

Also, I wonder whether CD is sending out any feelers into the training market? It seems to me that once the order backlog is reduced to 6-8 months or less, some version of the SR20 would be an ideal training aircraft for aviating in the modern world–certainly better than 172s or Cadets. Good potential for near/mid-term enhancement of sales volume there I would guess.

I enjoyed a lengthy discussion with Alan Klapmeier at AOPA. He said that the company has no plans to offer a turbocharged gasoline powered version. He pointed out that it wouldn’t be fair to sell someone an airplane requiring 100LL when the fuel is scheduled to disappear soon. He said that the normally aspirated engines appear to be OK with the planned new fuels particularly when equipped with FADEC.

The first turbocharged airplane will likely be a desiel WHEN they become available. While they are very interested in offering a turbo desiel, none are available. Alan said that it will be some time before a certified desiel is available. The current plan is to introduce it in Europe first because avgas is so expensive and at times difficult to come by there. In the U.S., fuel is not so much of a problem. He also said that the Moraine (French) desiel is an expensive engine likely requiring Cirrus to charge a significant premium for it.

Since I love rumors as well as the next fellow, my opinion would be that such a plane would not be sufficiently differentiated from the current SR22 to justify development, unless it were at least turbocharged and maybe pressurized, or a six-place turbocharged or turbine single. A next step-up model would need to be a bigger difference than just retractable gear and an extra 10-15 kt, I think.

Also, I wonder whether CD is sending out any feelers into the training market? It seems to me that once the order backlog is reduced to 6-8 months or less, some version of the SR20 would be an ideal training aircraft for aviating in the modern world–certainly better than 172s or Cadets. Good potential for near/mid-term enhancement of sales volume there I would guess.

Great idea, there have to be hundreds (thousands?)

of wanna be students who would take the leap if able to train in this aircraft. I honestly thought some schools would be ordering fleets of these things. Maybe it’s just too early.

I saw your posting re NJ vs DE registration

and can tell you I had same discussion with

atty & cpa re my Contract#599 due Apr-2002.

The “pro” advice was … it’s your call, and you

take the consequences, they advise that NJ does

routine search of DE corp fiings to try to ID this sort of asset & capture the taxes.

Note: It seems like NJ is due for a fairly high

Cirri population explosion.

or try 404 Error - AOPA

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/1996/Tax0396.txt