Single Pilot IFR

Today’s Aero-News.Net carries news of a new AOPA Air Safety Foundation online training module titled S1NGLE PILOT IFR.
It’s a nicely executed online, interactive training module that took me about 20 minutes to do. The quiz questions aren’t all easy - some of the incorrect answers are subtley so; I did not score perfectly! - but at the end, I was rewarded with a Wings certificate.

Here’s the link: http://www.aopa.org/asf/single_pilot_ifr/. I recommend it for any pilot.

• Mike.

In reply to:

I was rewarded with a Wings certificate

I took the course and was happy with it. But what I got was a certificate of course completion. The get a Wings certificate I still have to complete airwork signed off by an an instructor and submit both to the FAA Wings program.

Mike, I took this too. Overall, good graphics. Good ideas. Don’t think it was quite comprehensive enough to say “I learned something” except that vacuum pump/autopilot thing. IMHO, I think the Wings program has gotten a bit soft.

In reply to:

IMHO, I think the Wings program has gotten a bit soft.

• M.

Scott: I was feeling pretty good about getting a perfect score the first time until I read you post. But, I have to agree: it is a bit too easy!

Actually I think the autopilot question was badly worded - it should have said something like “Some autopilots depend upon instruments powered by the vacuum system”. I know of no autopilot that is directly connected to the vacuum system. Then maybe I don’t know everything…

Scott, this is been the same for me.

In my first plane, the autopilot really “sucked.” Maybe that was the reason…[;)]

In reply to:

In my first plane, the autopilot really “sucked.” Maybe that was the reason… [;)]

Kevin,

Actually, all the autopilots I’ve ever flown have depended on a vacuum system… my brain! [:)]

• Mike.