Short field performance?

Hi all,

I am considering a position in a SRXX and would be interested in real world data from owners of either plane. What’s it like operating out of a 2100-2300-2500’ field at sea level? Any people operating in PAO or SQL?

Thanks,

Manolis

What’s it like operating out of a 2100-2300-2500’ field at sea level?

A 2500’ field is certainly no problem (at sea level). I have taken off from a 2100’ (650m) sealed strip at max gross at sea level and it was no drama, but we did use up quite a bit of the strip.

Been based with my SR20 out of a (slight sloping…) grass field at 200ft altitude. Takeoff needs to be planned and technique used when loaded with pax and fuel, (and the bird eats quite a lot of strip), but I have not had any hairy situations clearing the fence. Of course, we don’t have Bayarea temperatures around here regularly…

Of course: do not try this at home and your meleage will vary.

Earlier this week I had a peek at the first SR22 in Europe. Bill tells me this one bends the vario needle at take-off. Performance seems awful (I was #2 for T/O after the (VERY good looking) SR22.

Cheers

HK

Hi all,

I am considering a position in a SRXX and would be interested in real world data from owners of either plane. What’s it like operating out of a 2100-2300-2500’ field at sea level? Any people operating in PAO or SQL?

Thanks,

Manolis

A 2500’ field is certainly no problem (at sea level). I have taken off from a 2100’ (650m) sealed strip at max gross at sea level and it was no drama, but we did use up quite a bit of the strip.

Thanks Clyde,

I am assuming you own an SR20.

Any 22 owner’s opinion?

How long is your grass strip?

How much is “quite a lot”? Do you have an estimate?

Been based with my SR20 out of a (slight sloping…) grass field at 200ft altitude. Takeoff needs to be planned and technique used when loaded with pax and fuel, (and the bird eats quite a lot of strip), but I have not had any hairy situations clearing the fence. Of course, we don’t have Bayarea temperatures around here regularly…

Earlier this week I had a peek at the first SR22 in Europe. Bill tells me this one bends the vario needle at take-off. Performance seems awful (I was #2 for T/O after the (VERY good looking) SR22.

Cheers

HK

Hi all,

Thanks,

Manolis

Greetings,Han. Having seen your plane in Seattle last year I am happy to think of it in Europe.

I don’t mean to be dense, but I don’t understand the point you’re making here. The performance of what, exactly, is awful? The 20 versus the 22? (Are you perhaps thinking of “awesome”?) Thanks for clarification, jf

Oops, should have added the hard data… TORA 670m (about 2,000ft). Estimate using well over 2/3 (you have to know your runway!!) for wheels off the ground and accelerate in ground effect. The field was LFPX in France by the way. But there again, there’s so many parameters (temperature, weight, wind, pilot skill and technique, surface condition to new only a few) that hard data isn’t hard evidence and the next take-off or landing has nothing to do with the previous one (this sounds familiar to golfing)! The POH is your best starting point. In any case, I’ve flown the SR20 to and from some interesting fields, always stayed well clear of the published limits in Load and CoG and never had the performance disappoint or -worse- surprise me.

Cheers

HK

Cheers

HK

Hi all,

Thanks,

Manolis

Thanks for the details :slight_smile: It’s always good to hear actual numbers to compare to the POH (though I don’t have one, yet!).

So, how do you like driving the Cirrus on the grass? How does it perform, and is there anything that you do of note?

How is your 20 cosmetically holding up. Is there anything special that you do in this regard?

What is the grass like on the field, well manicured? A field?

Thanks again,

Tom

Oops, should have added the hard data… TORA 670m (about 2,000ft). Estimate using well over 2/3 (you have to know your runway!!) for wheels off the ground and accelerate in ground effect. The field was LFPX in France by the way. But there again, there’s so many parameters (temperature, weight, wind, pilot skill and technique, surface condition to new only a few) that hard data isn’t hard evidence and the next take-off or landing has nothing to do with the previous one (this sounds familiar to golfing)! The POH is your best starting point. In any case, I’ve flown the SR20 to and from some interesting fields, always stayed well clear of the published limits in Load and CoG and never had the performance disappoint or -worse- surprise me.

Cheers

HK

Cheers

HK

Hi all,

Thanks,

Manolis

Thanks for the details :slight_smile: It’s always good to hear actual numbers to compare to the POH (though I don’t have one, yet!).

So, how do you like driving the Cirrus on the grass? How does it perform, and is there anything that you do of note?

Nothing special, the suspension gives comfort, mind the nosewheel and all the other soft field stuff we were taught way back when.

How is your 20 cosmetically holding up. Is there anything special that you do in this regard?

Nothing special. The grass (especially when wet) leaves a green spray effect on the fairings which is kind a cute, but easily wipes off if you don’t leave it too long.

Handling the towbar requires care, as it easily scratches the fairing of the nosewheel. N144CD has its share of scars. I saw on the forum some time ago a recipe for a cover made out of carpet.

What is the grass like on the field, well manicured? A field?

Regularly mowed and well kept. As long as you are aware and adjust technique, soft or hard surface doesn’t matter for the Cirrus (it does for peers in the group, as they aren’t necessarily approved for soft surfaces…).

Thanks again,

You’re welcome

Hi Jim,

Good to see you here!

The word is AWESOME to describe the climb performance of the SR22 I saw at Groningen. It is aweful that I have to wait another year tpo trade in the awesome SR20 I drive now.

Thanks for picking up the subtle difference. It isn’t easy being green…

Greetings,Han. Having seen your plane in Seattle last year I am happy to think of it in Europe.

I don’t mean to be dense, but I don’t understand the point you’re making here. The performance of what, exactly, is awful? The 20 versus the 22? (Are you perhaps thinking of “awesome”?) Thanks for clarification, jf