Grass Fields

Hi all,

so what are the opinions regarding taking an SR20 into reasonably well-kept grass fields? We’re based in Europe and for our kind of flying, grass fields are the norm. We’re talking well-kept turf of 2200 feet and more, but still, we’re asking ourselves if an SR20 is up to that. Some European Cirrus sales people advise against it rather strongly, others say: no problem.

What’s the experience?

Thanks!

In reply to:

Hi all,
so what are the opinions regarding taking an SR20 into reasonably well-kept grass fields? We’re based in Europe and for our kind of flying, grass fields are the norm. We’re talking well-kept turf of 2200 feet and more, but still, we’re asking ourselves if an SR20 is up to that. Some European Cirrus sales people advise against it rather strongly, others say: no problem.
What’s the experience?
Thanks!

Well first, the matter has been discussed extensively on the member side of the forum, so you if you search the members forum you will find what you are looking for with many different perspective…

My own experience with both 20 and 22 is that there is no real problem, but it’s a factor of how well kept the field is.

The problem isn’t the plane. To the extent that a problem might exist, it’s the tightness of the fairings. It’s easy to get longer or very wet grass caught in the wheel fairing.

Thomas,

Dennis is right. The only issue I’ve ever had is clippings getting trapped up in the fairings. This only happened once over the last 2 years right after a big rain and the grass was mowed that day. It actually locked up one of my mains for a few seconds. I don’t worry about it though - it was no problem.

Our field is 3,100’ long and is plenty of room for me. I will say that 2,200’ is on the short side of my comfort level on a hot day fully loaded. Also, I’m not familiar with the SR-20 - I have a 22.

Thomas,

I’ve not landed in grass, but I’ve been a passenger with Ian Valentine landing an SR22 (N147VC) on grass at Shoreham. For an in-cockpit QuickTime video (18.3 MB) of the landing, click here. Note that this was done with wheel pants on.

Cheers,
Roger

Thomas,

I have been flying in and out many grass fields in Europe. I know the SR22 I fly is more powerful during take-off. However never had problems with the wheel pants as long the turf is not too bad. So it is comparable to many other aircraft having wheel pants.

Regards,
Andre

The problem I have encountered on grass fields in Europe is mud more than grass. If there is any mud then the space between the wheel fairing and the tire can get packed with mud. How much of a problem that that creates is hard to say. Stress on the fairing because of the dried mud packed between it and tire? Maybe.

Hi Thomas,

we operated an SR20 for 5 years out of Lübeck and now we have the 22 since 2005. We flew and stil fly regularly to Vejroe, Femoe, Aeroe, Endelave etc. Yes, it´s a little harder on the wheel pants than asphalt but we never had any major damages other than a missing screw. Having an SR20, you will have to pay a bit more attention to field lengths and runway conditions, but again, if you stay somewhat below MTOW, there are no problems with the typical 600m fields in Europe.

Thanks to all for the very helpful answers!

Philipp,

You listed the fields I had in mind exactly, so thank you very much for that information. We’re currently operating a TB-10 out of Uetersen and I take it the take-off distances required are very similar.

Could we get together over a beer one of these days to discuss SR20 ownership? You can reach me at thomas (at) aeroversand (dot) de.

Thanks so much!