Screw tearing out copilot seat headrest material

We have a 2006 SR22GTS owned since new and notice that a small screw is tearing the rear outboard headrest material on the copilot seat. Looking for any insight as to what is its there for and why it might be causing this damage? Thanks.

Picture of the issue/location would be helpful…

From co-pilot’s door:
IMG_8099

Thanks!

Is it a screw head backing out of the co-pilot door?

Good question…that I can’t answer just yet. My plane partner identified the issue and I am posting about it without seeing it first hand. I will report back. Thank you!

According to my plane partner, it is a bolt head in a vertical direction within the seat.

Not enough information, or a good enough picture. Is the bolt inside the seat or outside the seat?

It is inside the seat working its way out of the seat.

You’d have to remove the seat cover and tighten the bolt. Put some threadlocker compound on the threads so it stays in. Removing the seat cover isn’t easy to explain. You kind have to roll it off inside out like a sock.

Thank you. Do you know what that bolt is attaching? Is it the headrest structure?

Mike

Or seat belt guide…

1 Like

That helps - thank you very much!

Michael…so which mystery bolt was it?

Hi Mike. It was 363. It isn’t backing out though. Here is what we surmise is happening - passengers entering the co-pilot’s seat brace themselves on the foam part of the headrest as they lower themselves into the seat. After 15 years this has displaced the underlying foam forward and down which put the bolt head in touch with the seat cover.

A few minutes with a needle and thread has resolved the issue for now. A better understanding of the cause might prolong its return. We will see…

Mike

That makes sense.