Ryan TCAD

There was a contribution by Scott Kelly, N893MK, on Nov. 22, 2000, to this forum. Scottannounced that he was on the way to have the Ryan 9900BX installed and would wire it to the Garmin.

Scott, how did this finally work out? Can you give us a report?

Are there others in the field with experience in the Ryan or BFGoodrich systems?

Thanks for any comment.

Timm Preusser N747TG

There was a contribution by Scott Kelly, N893MK, on Nov. 22, 2000, to this forum. Scottannounced that he was on the way to have the Ryan 9900BX installed and would wire it to the Garmin.

Are there others in the field with experience in the Ryan or BFGoodrich systems?

Thanks for any comment.

Timm Preusser N747TG

Hi Timm,

Just a quick note – I am trying to get TCAD installed in my plane. I guess there’s not much experience out there yet in terms of TCAD installs in SR20s. Scott’s the only one I know of, and it is not done yet (but hopefully real soon now). The avionics guy I’m working with has talked briefly with Scott’s avionics guy and is suggesting we “wait-and-see” until Scott’s is done. (Scott, hope you don’t mind my answering on your behalf, and thanks for going through this install so it’ll be easier for the rest of us!!)

Steve

Timm et al,

N893MK is still in the shop, since mid-Oct. Getting and installing the new Garmin transponder and upgrades to the STEC 55 (GPSS and Altitude Selector/Alerter) were no problem.

The Stormscope and the Ryan TCAD are another story. Mounting the “boxes” is one issue, but the main problem has been installing the antennas for both systems (3 in all) without compromising structural integrity, potentially rendering my plane un-airworthy. CD wouldn’t say a word of any kind to my Avionics shop for fear of being liable for the results.

My Avionics shop finally got the Regional Technical Director(?) of the FAA involved to lean on CD for some cooperation and for the FAA to okay the install procedure step-by-step to maintain airworthiness. Looks like they are going with an inside the skin install on all three antennas. This sounds odd, but the composite skin doesn’t interfere with proper reception and range of the equipment; or so I am told.

I am supposed to get her back by end of this month with Stormscope thru the Arnav and Ryan thru the 430. After they installed the anunciator for the Selector/Alerter, there was no panel space left for the TCAD anunciator/control, so it will only operate thru the 430. My Avionics shop is also installing the wiring for the TCAD to the Arnav so that if Arnav comes up with the softeware to interface to the MFD it will only be a software upgrade.

This has beem a pretty frustrating experience but at least it was over the winter months and should be ready for spring and summer. Hope I remember how to fly this plane; no time in the air for 4 months now. I am planning to take an instructor along for the return to Reid Hillview and will schedule some refresher hours with him as well.

Scott K.

Thanks for any comment.

Timm Preusser N747TG

Steve,

No problem. See my post for latest details.

BTW, My Avionics shop says they will make the install detail on both systems they are doing with the FAA freely available to other SR20 owners and other Avionics shops.

Scott K.

Thanks for any comment.

Timm Preusser N747TG

Hi Timm,

Just a quick note – I am trying to get TCAD installed in my plane. I guess there’s not much experience out there yet in terms of TCAD installs in SR20s. Scott’s the only one I know of, and it is not done yet (but hopefully real soon now). The avionics guy I’m working with has talked briefly with Scott’s avionics guy and is suggesting we “wait-and-see” until Scott’s is done. (Scott, hope you don’t mind my answering on your behalf, and thanks for going through this install so it’ll be easier for the rest of us!!)

Steve

Scott –

Just wanted to say I hope you get your bird back soon. That killed me to read your post. Guess this is another jackpot of a whole new design. Hope CD will be more supportive in the future, afterall, you are taking the bullet by leaving your plane down for so long.

Dean

Steve,

No problem. See my post for latest details.

BTW, My Avionics shop says they will make the install detail on both systems they are doing with the FAA freely available to other SR20 owners and other Avionics shops.

Scott K.

Scott,

That’s great – I heard from my avionics shop that your shop is doing it as an STC, rather than a form 337? If so, and if I understand the whole paperwork process, that should be a big bonus for the rest of us; if they’d have done a 337 it wouldn’t have meant much at other FSDOs I believe, but the STC should make what your shop has done the “standard” for SR20 TCAD installs in the rest of the country, and should help the rest of us with minimizing the guesswork and paperwork. And the fact they’re making it freely available is even better.

Thanks again

Steve

Scott,

Interesting posting and experience. I have been prodding Cirrus to spend time on the drilling holes for antenna’s issue (for a good old ADF in my case)but to no avail. The “wireless see through” way out seems the way to go, but I remember that subskin there is a “Faraday cage” lining to protect against lighting strike and static electricity effects. By that same characteristic it would shield off antenna signals too??

Can you keep us posted on the technicatlities as the additional antenna issue must be on our minds (at least some of us…)

thanks!

HK (N144CD at EHLE)

Timm et al,

N893MK is still in the shop, since mid-Oct. Getting and installing the new Garmin transponder and upgrades to the STEC 55 (GPSS and Altitude Selector/Alerter) were no problem.

The Stormscope and the Ryan TCAD are another story. Mounting the “boxes” is one issue, but the main problem has been installing the antennas for both systems (3 in all) without compromising structural integrity, potentially rendering my plane un-airworthy. CD wouldn’t say a word of any kind to my Avionics shop for fear of being liable for the results.

My Avionics shop finally got the Regional Technical Director(?) of the FAA involved to lean on CD for some cooperation and for the FAA to okay the install procedure step-by-step to maintain airworthiness. Looks like they are going with an inside the skin install on all three antennas. This sounds odd, but the composite skin doesn’t interfere with proper reception and range of the equipment; or so I am told.

I am supposed to get her back by end of this month with Stormscope thru the Arnav and Ryan thru the 430. After they installed the anunciator for the Selector/Alerter, there was no panel space left for the TCAD anunciator/control, so it will only operate thru the 430. My Avionics shop is also installing the wiring for the TCAD to the Arnav so that if Arnav comes up with the softeware to interface to the MFD it will only be a software upgrade.

This has beem a pretty frustrating experience but at least it was over the winter months and should be ready for spring and summer. Hope I remember how to fly this plane; no time in the air for 4 months now. I am planning to take an instructor along for the return to Reid Hillview and will schedule some refresher hours with him as well.

Scott K.

Thanks for any comment.

Timm Preusser N747TG