Recline during CAPS deployment?

Just a question to you MD types out there. If you had the time, before or after CAPS deployment, should you place the reclining seat as upright as possible or would this not matter. If it does matter much, should this be part of preflight info to pax?

Just a question to you MD types out there. If you had the time, before or after CAPS deployment, should you place the reclining seat as upright as possible or would this not matter. If it does matter much, should this be part of preflight info to pax?

I would think being as flat as possible {on your back} with arms crossed over chest would be the best position to hit, IF coming down with little horizontal momentium. The more upright you are the more you would tend to load your spine on impact. Other thoughts? MIKE #396 {MD AME}

I think you would like to be upright during deployment to take advantage of the 4 point harness and headrest. There will be a relatively rapid deceleration with your body going forward. It is best protected by using the straps and headrest to minimize forward movement and rearward recoil(like in a car accident) . Luckily, the slider on the chute shroud lines will distribute the deceleration over a second or two.

As for landing, that is what the 26 G seats are for. In a reclining position I am not sure the back of the seat might break off on impact and injure your back… It is designed to absorb impact in the sitting position, not lying back. Maybe leaning forward like the airlines recommend might be better, I don’t know.

The only theoretical advantage to reclining on impact would be to protect your head from lateral impacts against the thin plexiglass that might come about in a high wind, high lateral movement situation.

Unless told otherwise, I plan to deploy sitting up and to hit in the sitting position with my arms up protecting the sides of my head. Then I’m going to take that plexiglass shattering hammer, get clear and find the nearest phone to call and thank BRS and CIRRUS.

I would think being as flat as possible {on your back} with arms crossed over chest would be the best position to hit, IF coming down with little horizontal momentium. The more upright you are the more you would tend to load your spine on impact. Other thoughts? MIKE #396 {MD AME}

From an engineering perspective, I would be afraid that the seat might buckle backwards, putting a cantilever load on the back, which I believe would be worse than compressing it. I would not imagine the seat backs were designed to take the load of a crash in a reclined position. I could definately be wrong.

From an engineering perspective, I would be afraid that the seat might buckle backwards, putting a cantilever load on the back, which I believe would be worse than compressing it. I would not imagine the seat backs were designed to take the load of a crash in a reclined position. I could definately be wrong.
Tom, very good point. If the seats would take the stress, what do you think? MIKE #396

Tom, very good point. If the seats would take the stress, what do you think? MIKE #396

You have reached the limit of my knowledge. If the seats could take the stress, then I would have to defer to a person more well versed in the physiology of crashing than I. I would imagine that it is better, as you said, to be in a reclining position then (unless you happen to be resting on the person sitting behind you). But I’d have to talk to the person who designed the seats to really understand.

The problem with trying to figure out if it is better to recline or sit up straight during a decent with the parachute is complicated by which way the seat moves upon impact. If you sat in a seat and jumped off the dinner table you would wind up with a sore butt and most likely a herniated disc. But if you landed flat on your back you would save the lower back but expose the neck to a shearing type problem. If the seat back flexes (like a diving board) it has the potential to injury or break your neck while throwing you forward after loading upon impact. Have to remember that your head weighs around 15 pounds and is attached by your neck which does not handle shearing type stresses to well.

I would pick none of the above if possible.

The problem with trying to figure out if it is better to recline or sit up straight during a decent with the parachute is complicated by which way the seat moves upon impact. If you sat in a seat and jumped off the dinner table you would wind up with a sore butt and most likely a herniated disc. But if you landed flat on your back you would save the lower back but expose the neck to a shearing type problem. If the seat back flexes (like a diving board) it has the potential to injury or break your neck while throwing you forward after loading upon impact. Have to remember that your head weighs around 15 pounds and is attached by your neck which does not handle shearing type stresses to well.

I would pick none of the above if possible.

If someone is in the back seat, don’t recline!

My very unproffessional opinion!

Marty