Pre-heaters

Feedback on electric oil pan heaters such as the Reiff system:

Last weekend we stopped in Leadville Colorado while on a long cross country trip. Leadville is the highest airport in North America. It was VERY cold. I noticed that virtually all planes in the area were using the Reiff type systems instead of forced heat. I spoke with the A&Ps at Leadville and Rifle Colorado about it. They pointed out that in their experience less engine damage from cold weather starts were experienced by engines with the oil pan heating system then forced air. Their explanations convinced me to switch to a Reiff type system for my C182 and future Cirrus. I had previously used force air thinking that this method was far superior.

Next week I plan on ordering a Reiff system for our current airplane.

Scott Condon
Sisters, Oregon

I appreciate the recommendation, but which type of heater is “superior” really depends on the situation. In remote areas cumbustion heaters are often the only way to preheat, unless you carry a portable generator around with you to power an electric system. In my opinion the problem with combustion heaters is that the users often don’t heat long enough to warm the entire engine. A typical 15 minute quickie heat might heat the cylinders well enough to get the engine started, but doesn’t do much for the rest of the engine.

Feedback on electric oil pan heaters such as the Reiff system:

Last weekend we stopped in Leadville Colorado while on a long cross country trip. Leadville is the highest airport in North America. It was VERY cold. I noticed that virtually all planes in the area were using the Reiff type systems instead of forced heat. I spoke with the A&Ps at Leadville and Rifle Colorado about it. They pointed out that in their experience less engine damage from cold weather starts were experienced by engines with the oil pan heating system then forced air. Their explanations convinced me to switch to a Reiff type system for my C182 and future Cirrus. I had previously used force air thinking that this method was far superior.

Next week I plan on ordering a Reiff system for our current airplane.

Scott Condon
Sisters, Oregon