Engine Pre-heater

Getting cold in PA. Does anyone know where to purchase an engine pre-heater that can be stored in the plane?

Getting cold in PA. Does anyone know where to purchase an engine pre-heater that can be stored in the plane?

Bob Reiff recently posted the following. His website is very informative:

An SR20 owner bought our preheat system for his engine and suggested I talk to Cirrus about placing the preheat system on their options list, as Aviat has. I did so, but they said they have the certification set and don’t want to mess with any additional equipment at this point. Didn’t understand that myself as the system has it’s own FAA approval, but it’s their decision.

For anyone interested, our web site is www.execpc.com/reiff .

Bob Reiff
Reiff Preheat Systems

Joe:

I have had a Reiff band heater system (heat band around each cylinder) and an E-Z-Heat oil sum pad heater on my Commander and the two work great to -35 below. That combo is a lot cheaper than the Tannis systems and just as reliable. Trade-A-Plane advertises both. That’s what I intend to put on my SR20 when I get it in March.

I live in Colorado and keep my Cherokee outside, so I know all about cold. Since you said you wanted to “store it in the plane”, I’m assuming

you want an external unit, as opposed to something that is installed on your engine.

I’ve used a Red Dragon propane heater for the past

8 years. The heat unit weighs 10 lbs and fits into a semi-large tool box, so it’s portable enough for most planes.

I use a 2 1/2 gallon propane tank for pre-heats

at my home base, and use the little disposable

propane tanks when I’m away from home. The

fan blower runs on 12 volt power, so that works

on most planes and all cars, but it’s going

to be a problem with 28v in the Cirrus.

Red Dragon is made by Flame Engineering in LaCrosse, KS. (800) 478-7201

I’ve had mine for 8 years and it’s never needed

any kind of service.

Northern Pilot Magazine did a review of all kinds of engine preheaters in their February/March 2000 issue. Maybe you could contact them for a copy? (888) 477-4568

I had a Reiff heater installed on my SR20 shortly after delivery in Feb 2000. It works great, much simpler to install than the Tannis and cheaper. I would recommend it without reservations

An SR20 owner bought our preheat system for his engine and suggested I talk to Cirrus about placing the preheat system on their options list, as Aviat has. I did so, but they said they have the certification set and don’t want to mess with any additional equipment at this point. Didn’t understand that myself as the system has it’s own FAA approval, but it’s their decision.

Bob Reiff
Reiff Preheat Systems

As I recall, Aviation Consumer did an article about pre-heaters within the past year or two.

Pete

Bob Reiff
Reiff Preheat Systems

As I recall, Aviation Consumer did an article about pre-heaters within the past year or two.

Pete

All I have to say from here in Dallas is: “What’s a pre-heater?”

Bob Reiff
Reiff Preheat Systems

Pete

All I have to say from here in Dallas is: “What’s a pre-heater?”

Well, uh, Doug, it’s something a guy takes on a date with a not-so-hot lady.