Playa Del Carmen - Myan Riveria

I just spent part of the weekend in Playa Del Carmen on the Myan Riveria and noticed that they have a small airport. I cannot find the official designator for it.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the airport and fly-in procedures.
It appears to be only 3 hrs from Miami and readily accessable to all of us living in the south.

I checked on the net and found this…any help? Playa Del Carmen Mexico PCM…PCM???

In reply to:

I just spent part of the weekend in Playa Del Carmen on the Myan Riveria and noticed that they have a small airport. I cannot find the official designator for it.

Dennis,

A couple of summers ago I hopped a ferry over to Playa from Cozumel and noticed this airport adjacent to a little parking lot where I picked up a bus down to Tulum. The whole bus ride down to the Ruins I daydreamed about flying 4AG into that airport, but I guess I would settle for going into Cancun or Cozumel as well.

If you decide to do a flight like this, please keep us in the loop because I would be very interested to see what kind of planning and procedures the trip would involve.

Also, if I were you, I would remove any anti-Castro bumper-stickers from your plane just in case any Migs decide to come up and take a looksie when you skirt Cuba.[;)]

KPCM is the designator for Plant City Municipal, a few miles from Lakeland, Fl. I know, because I’m planning on landing there Thursday for Sun `n Fun! :wink: Good guess though…

PCM is right. It doesn’t have an international 4-letter identifier.

Nor does it seem to publish a METAR.

Could you even fly straight in there or is it not a designated port of entry?

Flying the route you spoke about, you’d have to stop in Cancun or Cozumel. Both are designated aiports of entry and in entering Mexico, you have to stop at the first/nearest AOE along your route. Along with that you have to no the other rules and procedures for flying in Mexico. Most information on this subject can be found at www.bajabushpilots.com

BY the way Dennis, as soon as I get my plane I meet you down there when you want. I plan to fly to Cozumel at least once or twice a year.

In reply to:

Flying the route you spoke about, you’d have to stop in Cancun or Cozumel. Both are designated aiports of entry and in entering Mexico, you have to stop at the first/nearest AOE along your route. Along with that you have to no the other rules and procedures for flying in Mexico. Most information on this subject can be found at www.bajabushpilots.com
BY the way Dennis, as soon as I get my plane I meet you down there when you want. I plan to fly to Cozumel at least once or twice a year.

I have been flying to Mexico for years and have NEVER stoped at the first airport of entry along my route. The rule is that your first stop must be at an airport of entry. Pilots nearly always overfly Tijuana or Mexicali on the way to Guaymas or Loreto.

Jack McCormick of the Baja Bush Pilots recently questioned the requirement to make an airport of entry the last stop before returning to the US. Mexican officials were unable to document the requirement in Mexican law. However, BBP recommends that you make the stop until the issue is settled.

What is your route of flight. I too would like some day to fly to Playa Del Carmen, delightful area, via Cancun (recently saw a Cirrus there). Do you fly over Cuba?

Paul and Jocelyn Gemis

I just flew to Oaxaca last week and we flew over/past quite a few AOEs before getting to MMOX. I also fly to Cabo once a year and we never stop at the first AOE. The only rule I’m aware of on the trip down is that your first stop in Mexico be at an AOE.

In reply to:

What is your route of flight. I too would like some day to fly to Playa Del Carmen, delightful area, via Cancun (recently saw a Cirrus there). Do you fly over Cuba?

Paul,

IÂ’m not familiar with proper procedure, but I did notice that a direct line from Key West to the Playa Del Carmen area keeps you about 5-10 miles off CubaÂ’s shoreline. If Cuba needs to be avoided for some reason, staying over international waters would only add a few miles to the trip.

Flying from KMIA to MMUN (Cancun) you do not overfly Cuba and do not need an overflight permit. The only time you need an overflight permit for Cuba is if you actually overfly any land mass. If planning on flying down to MMUN use B646 for going down to Mexico. You can use G765 for returning to KMIA and not need an Overflight permit.

How long a distance is that? Do folks commonly fly that route in single engine planes?

In reply to:

How long a distance is that? Do folks commonly fly that route in single engine planes?

It is 461NM direct; you are close to land most of the way. It should take a little less than 3 hrs in a 22. No problem.

Hi All
I would be interested in taking the land route thru Texas. What are the trials and tribulations of doing that
Rick Langel

For flight planning purposes it will not be difficult if you want to fly a land route via Texas. The trip would be much longer via a land route. It depends on how far you would want to fly over water from a shoreline. You could cut some corners if you fly over water but stay close to shore. Not sure if you would want to have a raft on board and fly futher out over the Gulf. You can always email me if you need some flight planning help.

Gotta remember we are coming from Iowa
Rick