Planning A Trip—Need Your Help

I’m planning on taking 7654T and my girlfriend on a tour of the natural wonders of the Southwest in a couple weeks. We’ve got a long weekend, three days and two nights. I’m based in Santa Monica. Would any of you have some advice you’d be willing to share on special places to spend the night? Are there things that look particularly fine from the air aside from the Grand Canyon?

Many thanks,

Chris

I’m planning on taking 7654T and my girlfriend on a tour of the natural wonders of the Southwest in a couple weeks. We’ve got a long weekend, three days and two nights. I’m based in Santa Monica. Would any of you have some advice you’d be willing to share on special places to spend the night? Are there things that look particularly fine from the air aside from the Grand Canyon?

Many thanks,

Chris

Heading east, you might consider overflying Meteor Crater, which is fun (particularly in a steep bank) and the Sedona AZ area is spectacular. Both are more or less on the way to the Big Ditch. The eastern end of the Grand Canyon area (Vermillion Cliffs and the Painted Desert) are also unearthly. Then you’re within striking distance of Monument Valley…

Chris

Don’t miss Lake Powell; you can stay at Page (nice airport and friendly FBO). Be sure to contact Walt for negotiating tips re motel room rates.

:slight_smile:

Overfly Canyonlands if possible too.

A flight south/southeast from the Natural Bridges area towards Mexican Hat/Monument Valley is spectacular.

You’ve chosen one of the very best parts of the country to see from the air–you won’t forget it!

There’s a new magazine that recently hit the stands called “Pilot Journal”. It has an article about touring the Southwest in a light plane.

Hurricane airport in Utah (AirNav: 1L8 - General Dick Stout Field Airport) is a short drive from Zion National Park. The Zion Lodge is a great place to stay, and there’s plenty of other lodging in Springdale just outside the park.

There’s an airport right at the edge of Canyonlands park, called Needles Outpost. It’s a dirt strip, 4500’ long at 5000’ elevation. There’s a little store/cafe there, and I believe they’ll let you camp with your plane, but it’s just a couple of miles walk to the park campgrounds and trailheads. (AirNav: Airport Information)

Chris - Kevin, who used to live in the Santa Fe area before moving to God’s country, is absolutely right about Lake Powell and Canyon Lands at being spectacular. Frankly, I think the ONLY way to see them is from a GA plane. Many of the promotional photos shots are taken with Lake Powell as the back drop. I suggest that you stop at Page, AZ (PGA) and stay at the Arizona Resort Hotel (at least I think that is the name) and right next door is a nice steak house. The Texaco FBO will give you a ride to the hotel. As Kevin said they are nice folks Â… and also have reasonably priced 100LL.

Dave Katz, who now has a home in Santa Fe, also offers some excellent advice. He should know now having bought a home there. I think he is keeping his plane in Santa Fe too.

Good luck … and give us a pirep.

highly recommend sedona az.great from the air take a jeep tour on the ground>I’m planning on taking 7654T and my girlfriend on a tour of the natural wonders of the Southwest in a couple weeks. We’ve got a long weekend, three days and two nights. I’m based in Santa Monica. Would any of you have some advice you’d be willing to share on special places to spend the night? Are there things that look particularly fine from the air aside from the Grand Canyon?

Many thanks,

Chris

my husband and I (both private pilots) flew out west in July for our honeymoon, and hit many of the places already mentioned. Sedona was on the top of our list-- landing at the airport (on top of a mesa) is great. If you’re looking for a romantic place to stay, the Enchantment Resort in Sedona is in a beautiful canyon. It was one of our favorite spots

Many thanks,

Chris