Plane lands on freeway

A small plane having engine trouble clipped a car but landed safely amid the traffic of the Riverside Freeway that runs through the Los Angeles suburbs.

The impact Saturday afternoon shattered the car’s rear window, scattering glass on two children who were in the back seat on their way to Disneyland, but authorities said no one was seriously injured.

Kevin Glovinsky said he saw a shadow over his car and heard his girlfriend, Tiffany Jennings, screaming that an airplane was landing on the freeway. He said they had to pick broken glass out of the hair of his 4-year-old son and her 8-year-old daughter.

“I’m still kinda in shock,” he said.

The pilot, Mike Manning of West Covina, had been headed to the nearby Fullerton Municipal Airport but was having engine trouble shortly after 1 p.m. He set the plane down on the freeway, where traffic was relatively light, and was able to pull it over to the shoulder near an exit, said Highway Patrol Officer Colleen Richardson. Two freeway lanes were shut down for about three hours.

“I couldn’t believe it was happening,” Manning, 45, told The Orange County Register. “I’m still in a period of denial.”

Looks to me, as if they had gear problems too!!!