OT: Demanding that GA ground stop should be lifted

Tuesday’s horrible attack was perpetrated by terrorists hijacking commercial jetliners. Not by terrorists in GA airplanes. So why is GA still grounded, and commercial planes can fly again? It should be the other way around!

For instance, this restriction on knives is unenforcable. Anyone can hide a non-metal knife on his body and bring it aboard a commercial airliner.
On the other hand, what damage could a suicide terrorist do in a non-jet GA airplane? Slam into a building? He could probably kill more people by WALKING into that same building and opening up with an AK-47.
Again, the fact that GA traffic is being singled out is unwarranted and un-American. The real danger are sloppy security procedures and open cockpit doors in commercial aviation, not those dinky little 2000 pound or 3000 pound GA airplanes being flown by us decent, hard-working men and women. Call your congressman and demand an end to this unfairness.

On the other hand, what damage could a suicide terrorist do in a non-jet GA airplane? Slam into a building? He could probably kill more people by WALKING into that same building and opening up with an AK-47.

Even an SR20 could carry 600 pounds of explosive, which is more than enough to do a lot of damage and cost a lost of lives. And flying at 160 knots it could get to a lot of targets (many of which would not be accessable with an AK-47) with a very short deviation from a flight plan. If you can’t see this then it is fortunate that you are not charged with out national security.

It is an outrage that a person is so self absorbed at a time like this that he thinks HE (GA) is being singled out. I am sure that right now there are more pressing issues than getting GA airports up and running. Lets show a little patience and give our government a little room. Perhaps we could wait a day or two more (following the wrost incident in our lifetime)before we start the criticize. Sorry you are so inconvenienced. You should be asshamed to have posed this message.

Tuesday’s horrible attack was perpetrated by terrorists hijacking commercial jetliners. Not by terrorists in GA airplanes. So why is GA still grounded, and commercial planes can fly again? It should be the other way around!

For instance, this restriction on knives is unenforcable. Anyone can hide a non-metal knife on his body and bring it aboard a commercial airliner.
Again, the fact that GA traffic is being singled out is unwarranted and un-American. The real danger are sloppy security procedures and open cockpit doors in commercial aviation, not those dinky little 2000 pound or 3000 pound GA airplanes being flown by us decent, hard-working men and women. Call your congressman and demand an end to this unfairness.

Did you know that the death count right now is near 5,000 americans? Wouldn’t you be very careful in a bad time this? Be thankful you have the option to wait.Many people don’t anymore.The aviation comunity must stay strong right now and nobody is being singled out.It’s our national security . They can’t saturate the air system just yet.We have to be careful.We don’t know what can come next. -j

Just to keep things in perspective: civil aviation was restricted in the United States and Europe for the duration of WWII, and all aircraft production facilities in the US were devoted to building military aircraft until the end of the war. We probably didn’t like it much then, either.

John

I agree with Greg 100%.

As for Art, at least his views on general aviation are consistent: he was the one who concluded on this forum a few months ago that GA would be banned because we use - gasp - gasoline.

Glenn

(stranded in Detroit with Cessna, feeling discriminated against, and fuming mad)

Even an SR20 could carry 600 pounds of explosive, which is more than enough to do a lot of damage and cost a lost of lives. And flying at 160 knots it could get to a lot of targets (many of which would not be accessable with an AK-47) with a very short deviation from a flight plan. If you can’t see this then it is fortunate that you are not charged with out national security.

Art,

Are you saying that when the ban is lifted there will be procedures in place to prevent someone from flying an explosive laden SR20 into a building? I am relatively certain that will not happen.

If you can’t see this then it is fortunate you are not charged with our national security.

Greg

P.S. How much longer before your plane gets built?

Even an SR20 could carry 600 pounds of
explosive, which is more than enough to do a lot
of damage and cost a lost of lives. And flying
at 160 knots it could get to a lot of targets
(many of which would not be accessable with an
AK-47) with a very short deviation from a flight
plan.

And a big rig can carry 40 tons of high explosive.

And no, 40 tons of high explosive don’t have to be anywhere NEAR the intended target, in case you didn’t know.

And a containership can carry some 20,000 tons of
high explosive.
http://www.polb.com/reginamaersk.htm

20,000 tons of high explosive are equivalent to “Little Boy”, in case you didn’t know.

Come on, let’s be serious here. Even 600 pounds of high explosive would not have toppled the WTC.
You know that, and I know that.

It was the fire fueled by thousand of pounds of jet fuel that weakened the steel structure of the WTC, and caused it to collapse after about an hour.

All I’m saying is that such a terrorist act could happen again, any time, even WITH the new security procedures in place. (Ceramic knives? 'nuff said.) But on the huge scale we had to witness on Tuesday, such acts of terrorism are only possible with commercial jetliners, not with single engine propeller planes. OK?

And I’m confident the FAA will prove me right by allowing at least single engine propeller planes up into the air again. Private jets - now that’s

an entirely different matter.

I agree with Greg 100%.

As for Art, at least his views on general aviation are consistent: he was the one who concluded on this forum a few months ago that GA would be banned because we use - gasp - gasoline.

Glenn

(stranded in Detroit with Cessna, feeling discriminated against, and fuming mad)

Glenn, you should not feel discriminated against, there are a lot of pilots flying Cessnas…Hope you make it home soon, I mean I hope you will get to take off soon everyone on the forum knows you will not get home soon flying a cessna…Ed

Yep, Ed - anyone commanding a 25 year old Cessna whose best-working piece of avionics is an ADF should feel discriminated against!

Are you saying that when the ban is lifted there will be procedures in place to prevent someone from flying an explosive laden SR20 into a building?

I am saying that I am not convinced that the ban will be lifted. If it is it might require ramp checks before takeoff (paid for by user fees). I can also see this as a chance to implement user fees for ATC which will monitor all flights.

P.S. How much longer before your plane gets built?

It was supposed to be December, but I suspect even if the GA gets back to business as normal that the period flights were not allowed will cause delivery delays.

I think I made a mistake here. There was civil aviation in the US during WWII, and a lot of pilot training toward the war effort – just no civil aircraft production.

Just to keep things in perspective: civil aviation was restricted in the United States and Europe for the duration of WWII, and all aircraft production facilities in the US were devoted to building military aircraft until the end of the war. We probably didn’t like it much then, either.

John